My MIDI keyboard is unresponsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My MIDI keyboard is unresponsive

I just started getting into recording digital music so I thought I'd fork out a bit of money and get Reason 4, a cheap keyboard for MIDI purposes and a cheap MIDI-to-USB cable. I set it all up and connected the keyboard to Reason, then when I tried to play with the keyboard, Reason would only pick up some of my keypresses and miss every few.

I couldn't confirm the reason for this, but i think it may be the cable it was plugged into a USB hub, so when I tried putting it directly into the computer, I got no response other than the computer telling me that there was an unknown device plugged in, but refused to install the drivers. So next I tried in my laptop without a hub, and while the keyboard worked, I still had the issue of unresponsiveness, although seemingly less of it.

So now I'm a little stumped. Anyone care to help a newb with his problem?

Please list keyboard model, cable model, "USB Hub" model and computer specs, and what else you have connected?

Too little info with too many possible variables to even start guessing, really. (The "USB Hub" thing has me curious).

Brad1

Comment

Hey Brad1,

Most of the stuff I have is pretty no-name as I got it off TradeMe (New Zealands version of eBay) but I did find some names that might help:

My keyboard is a Meike MK-939
      The MIDI Cable is a Z-TEK USB MIDI Cable
      The USB hub is a no name brand I got with a magazine subscription. (And if you didn't understand, the USB hub is like a splitter for USB ports, turning one into 4)
      I also have a DSE Wireless Adaptor and a Lofitech corded mouse and keyboard.

And I'm at school right now so I get the system specs.

And I think thats everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars92 View Post
        My keyboard is a Meike MK-939
        The MIDI Cable is a Z-TEK USB MIDI Cable
        The USB hub is a no name brand I got with a magazine subscription. (And if you didn't understand, the USB hub is like a splitter for USB ports, turning one into 4)
        Well, I knew the hub was a splitter, just wondering why you needed it. Not sure what USB your computer has. Those hubs rarely work well if you have several things plugged into them, if at all. I've tried several before, and they are nothing but problems.

Can't find anything on that keyboard, so that's no help. Can't find any real info on those Z Tek cables. Not sure if you have Reason set up properly.

You'll just have to find info, and read the manuals for all that stuff. There's just not enough info available.

Good luck,

Brad1

Comment

Working...
        X