P90 and Jazzmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P90 and Jazzmaster

Does anyone happen to know if Gibby P90's will fit in Jazzmaster pup covers? I'm putting a partso JM together and using the JM pup covers would certainly make my life simpler. I have no problem with yanking the covers off the P90's if they'll somehow fit. And I don't have the JM pups or covers.

thanks

Charlie

Yes it will, but the pole spacing is different.

I did one of these back in the 80's for the guitarist in my band. He had a nice candyapple red Jazzmaster, but was missing the tone of his non reverse Firebird with P-90s. So I replaced the bridge Jazzmaster pickup with a P-90, putting it in the stock Jazzmaster cover.

I had a 70's P-90 laying around that was taken from an SG. What I did was remove the pole screws, and took a small jewelers round file, and filed the holes wider, so I could move the screws to match the Jazzmaster's cover. This was one of the P-90s with the clear bobbins. I don't remember it having a keeper, but it was 24 years ago! It might have and I probably drilled it out.

It wasn't hard to do though, and came out great.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks, David

Unfortunately that now becomes moot since I read that USA JM pup covers do not fit MIJ JM bodies! And of course the one that I have is MIJ. So I guess I will just go with Plan A, which was get the pups in the body in the right spot and then have a new pg made. I have a MIJ pg that I scored off a classified some time ago so it is just a matter of dup'ing that and making the holes fit the P90's. Or maybe just making some pup rings which could be cool. No biggie.

But thanks for the info anyway - it coulda worked

Charlie

Comment

Working...
      X