Fender Strat Tone/Volume Control Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Strat Tone/Volume Control Issues

Hello out there, I am looking for hopefully some information in regards to a Fender Strat pick up and control issue. I have recently purchased a new set of Fat 50 Fender pickups along with 3 new Fender CTS no load 250k ohm pots. I have installed everything into the Strat per the Fender American Strat Upgrade diagram. I have checked and doublechecked all wiring. The problem I have is the pots operate in reverse, meaning as I turn the volume and tone controls clockwise, the volume lowers and the same with the tone controls. With the pots in my hand using an ohm meter, I can measure resistance (looking at shaft up) from the left pin to the center pin full counterclockwise 0 ohms and with control full clockwise before click stop 255 ohms. When I hit the stop, the resistance goes to read infinity. From the center pin to the right pin shaft up no continuity and none from left to right pins. Doe's anyone have any suggestions? I have contacted Fender Tech support and haven't got much help thus far. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The Fender Pot numbers are (3) 0990832000

Comment

It's quite simple: you have wired everything in mirror-image. I don't know how, because you said that you followed the directions, but if your volume pot, for instance, is working in reverse, then the lug you grounded should be you hot (signal) lead, and vice-versa. If you can post a pic of your wiring, that might be helpful. But really, it's no mystery or rocket-science, its just backwards. You wouldn't be the first person to do this by a longshot!
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I understand what your saying and it seems as though that would make sense but, if and checking the control with no wiring attached, shouldn't full open clockwise read 0 ohms and counter clockwise be the higher resistance? This is not the case, with the pot in my hand I read a high resistance at a full clockwise rotation and a low resistance at a full clockwise setting acting in reverse. I am just asking because befor I tear it all apart again, just wanted to make sure we were all clear.

Comment

Here is the deal, it works now, just backwards. The controls have three legs on them. Leave the center one alone, and swap the wires on the two end legs. Now it should work the right direction.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
            Here is the deal, it works now, just backwards. The controls have three legs on them. Leave the center one alone, and swap the wires on the two end legs. Now it should work the right direction.

Correctamundo!!!
            John R. Frondelli

Comment

...or you could drill holes in the back of the guitar and mount them there so they'll turn in the right direction, only it might degrade the value of the guitar...

Comment

Even though there is only continuity through the center and 1 pin on the pot. The new pot is different than my old ones where as there was resistance from the center leg to either the right or left terminal and depending which way the control was turned thed resistance would change opposite on either side due to the center wipe of the pot.

Comment

Have you fitted a no-load pot as the vol control? They can't be used like that, no loads are for tone controls only.
                  No-loads are variable resistors (2 operational terminals only) not potentiometers which have 3 operational terminals. Vol controls (regular ones anyway) need to be potentiometers. That may be part or all of what your problem is.
                  My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                    Have you fitted a no-load pot as the vol control? They can't be used like that, no loads are for tone controls only.
                    No-loads are variable resistors (2 operational terminals only) not potentiometers which have 3 operational terminals. Vol controls (regular ones anyway) need to be potentiometers. That may be part or all of what your problem is.
                    Good call! I checked the Fender part# in my database, and those are 250K No-Load pots.
                    John R. Frondelli

Comment

That is what I was wondering about. I ordered a regular pot to hopefully get early next week and try. Do you fell pretty confident that is the trouble?

Comment

If you've used a no load pot for the vol control, then that is likely to be the cause of the problem (no sound on full volume).
                        My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
                          If you've used a no load pot for the vol control, then that is likely to be the cause of the problem (no sound on full volume).
                          Exactly. A no load pot cannot be used as a volume. It will bypass at 10 thus giving you no signal.

Comment

I'll be back in a couple days after installing the actual pot. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Finally received my pot and installed it into the volume. You guys hit the nail on the head. This guitar sounds great. I wasn't thinking installing the no load into the volume. All is good and many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X