diode manufacturers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diode manufacturers?

I'm ordering some small parts today and need a few rectifier diodes. e.g 1n5408, 1n4007.

I have opinions/superstitions about some brands of some categories of components.

Is there a brand of diode that you would either prefer or avoid?

thanks,
    mike

Originally posted by mike_mccue View Post
    Is there a brand of diode that you would either prefer or avoid?
    No. This is one of the few subjects where brand doesn't matter to me.
    Of course, just my opinion.

Cheers,
    Albert

Comment

I am sure I couldn't even tell you the brands of diodes in my stock drawers now. I cannot imagine that it matters, and especially for just rectifiers. If you had them in the signal path, I suppose one MIGHT be able to make a case that Brand X has a tenth of a volt higher or lower junction threshold than Brand Y, but even that is doubtful.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

There are only a handful of fabrication facilities (FABs) that make discrete silicon semiconductors. Fairchild, On Semi, etc, etc subcontract there fabrication of wafers/die for this type of technology. NXP (formerly Philips) had their own FAB in Norway. I would shop by price at this point in time.

Comment

OK thanks everyone.

I was mainly asking about quality/durability... not at all thinking about a difference in sound etc. Just wantde to learn if there was brand that wore out or failed too often.

Thanks again.

best regards,
          mike

Comment

I know of no fake rectifiers offhand.

Just buy your parts from a reputable supplier like Mouser as opposed to Joe's Fresh Fish and Parts company on ebay, and you will be fine.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I usually purchase the IR (International Rectifier) brand, but as Enzo said, if you buy from a reputable place like Mouser or Digi-Key (two of my main suppliers), you will be OK. I no longer purchase mystery parts from discount dealers, because you just do NOT know what you are getting.

As far as power supply diodes go, you only need three: 1N4007, 1N5408 and 6A10, from lowest to highest current rating. In quantity, these are all dirt cheap.
              John R. Frondelli
              dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

John mentions quantity.

Wherever you buy common parts like 1N4007, do yourselves a favor and check the price at like 100 of them. I used to but little 1N4148s, and they were only 29 cents or whatever for one. Or for the price of 5 of them, I could buy 100.

Looking at 1N4007 at Mouser, narrowed down to in-stock, common DO-41 package, there are a number of choices. COmparing 1 lot to 100 lot pricing, I see 7 cents down to 4, 16 cents down to 7, and like that. pretty good. But if you look further down the list, you can find them for as little as 2 to 4 cents for one and as low as $1.60 for 100. And for $1.60, you will have a bunch. yes, at 2 cents, you could just buy 5 for a dime, but you save nothing on shipping, and will have to order again for the next project.

I'd agree with John's selection there. Moving beyond power supplies, if you do any amount of work at all, you will need the occasional 1N4148 or similar. And a couple dollars gets 100 of those as well.

Comment

Working...
                X