Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrolytics for signal path restoration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrolytics for signal path restoration?

I'm restoring a 1966 Farfisa Compact Duo (it's all Pink Floyd's fault), and I need to shotgun a bunch of 10uF signal path electrolytics, made by Facon in Italy. Some are leaking, and after 43 years, it's time.

The originals are axials, and I could use Vishay/Sprague TE Series axial "Little-lytics," a close relative of the Atoms, or I could use what I usually use in Hi-Fi repairs when I need a signal path electrolytic: radial Elna Cerafines. Vishay brags "all-welded" construction in the TE types.

In this case, the Spragues actually cost three times what the "boutique" audio capacitors cost: $2.10 vs. $0.75 per capacitor.

Any compelling reason to use the Spragues?

David

No there isn't, and at 75¢ a pop, you're getting hosed for the cheaper stuff too. You can save yourself some money by purchasing Panasonic, Nichicon or Xicon caps, especially when you are in a shotgun situation like that where you need to replace multiple caps, a common problem in many older keyboards.
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
      No there isn't, and at 75¢ a pop, you're getting hosed for the cheaper stuff too. You can save yourself some money by purchasing Panasonic, Nichicon or Xicon caps, especially when you are in a shotgun situation like that where you need to replace multiple caps, a common problem in many older keyboards.
      Thanks for the feedback. I use Panasonic EE, FC, and FM types all the time, especially for power supplies, and I use the Nichicon Muse types. I wish Nichicon hadn't discontinued the HF/HFQ axial series where axial mounting helps makes things neater.

I haven't used Xicon caps because my impression was that they weren't as high quality as the types above, but I'm not opposed to finding out that that impression was inaccurate.

Comment

And shop around a little. When I shop for commodity parts like e-caps, I usually chart up Mouser, Allied, and Digikey. On a not all that old sheet I see 22uf/50v radials ranging from 2 cents at Mouser to 11 cents at Digi. or 2200uf/50v, 1.28 at Digi versus 2.76 at Allied.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X