Throw out bad speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throw out bad speakers?

Hey what do yall do w/ broken speakers? I tend to throw them out cause they just collect dust round here. Don't wanna recone or fix, just curious if there's some use for them or the magnets otherwise. Maybe another industry or company of sorts will buy the magnets? Who knows.

I used to save a few, but any more I just toss them. I have one of those little roll around mechanics tool carts - steel thing with wheels and a few drawers. I have a variety of old speaker magnets stuck to the sides of that. I pried them off dead speakers. Whenever my screwdrivers lose their magnetism, I pull one off there and stroke the screwdriver across it to recharge its magnetism. I don;t really need 20 magnets to cover that occasional need, but what the hell, it was fun to collect them. Every now and then I find some kid who really appreciated a big magnet to screw with.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

It depends on the speaker. Some are worth repairing, most are not.

If it's an EV12L or 12S or 15L or 15B, I'll have that reconed myself.

If it's a vintage Jensen, Rola, Celestion, whatever, I know a reconing guy who will take the baskets and recone and resell them.

I give him a dozen baskets and he'll do a 12L for me or whatever.

Anything else goes to le dumpsteur.

If I didn't already know someone who wanted them, I'd post on Craig's List and offer them to a reconer for free or service barter.
      -Erik
      Euthymia Electronics
      Alameda, CA USA
      Sanborn Farallon Amplifier

Comment

Originally posted by Euthymia View Post
        It depends on the speaker. Some are worth repairing, most are not.

If it's an EV12L or 12S or 15L or 15B, I'll have that reconed myself.

If it's a vintage Jensen, Rola, Celestion, whatever, I know a reconing guy who will take the baskets and recone and resell them.

I give him a dozen baskets and he'll do a 12L for me or whatever.

Anything else goes to le dumpsteur.

If I didn't already know someone who wanted them, I'd post on Craig's List and offer them to a reconer for free or service barter.
        That reminds me, I have an EV 12L that needs reconed... Maybe next paycheck or two...

Comment

Recycle them!

Comment

Working...
          X