Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by belwar View Post
    Oooo! Money shot!

I thought that was how they did the cover on the MKIII but now I know for sure!
    Where did you find that? The Hiscock book? That's not in mine. I must have an old edition (the cover is different as well).
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

... and the cover
      Attached Files

Comment

.. and now properly colored and in place. I still have to draw the tabs, ring, and bottom, but its almost complete.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
          Where did you find that? The Hiscock book? That's not in mine. I must have an old edition (the cover is different as well).
          Yep, it's in the 2nd edition p.157.
          int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */
          www.ozbassforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by mkat View Post
            Yep, it's in the 2nd edition p.157.
            Ah. Good excuse to get the book again... I don't know where my copy is. I think my friend has it.

Here's some of my Wal clone bobbins. I have all the parts made... now I just have to assemble the pickup.

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Wal is back in business!!! Wal Basses and Electric Wood Limited Home Page

Comment

Good! All the more reason for people to make aftermarket pickups!

Comment

Good! All the more reason for people to make aftermarket pickups!
                  Aftermarket for Wals? That's like making aftermarket pickups for Alembics. What's the point? People bought those basses partly for the pickups.

What you can't do is buy Wal pickups for non Wal basses. That's why I'm making them in MM covers.

Comment

Maybe other makers will start using that wal shape. Who knows!?

Comment

Maybe other makers will start using that wal shape. Who knows!?
                      You never know, but they sure haven't started using Gibson Riper, or Alembic, or some other odd ball shape.

That's probably why Bartolini has a half a million shapes! Trying to keep up with all the proprietary designs.

If Wals were more common, then you might see that happen.

The other thing about using that shape is, what bass would it fit into, and does the string spacing match?

If you are making the bass and the pickups, then it doesn't matter what you use, which is what they did.

Their early basses had Fender Mustang and Guild pickups!

Comment

I know there´s alot of people that want a Wal, but they are very expensive so not many can afford...starts at £3200 and the secondhand market is even more expensive! So a aftermarket pickup that anybody can put in their bass to get a little Wal sound, is probably gonna sell!

Comment

Originally posted by Evilbiker View Post
                          So a aftermarket pickup that anybody can put in their bass to get a little Wal sound, is probably gonna sell!
                          My thoughts exactly.

Wont make your bass sound like a Wal though.

Comment

Nop, but a little Walish!

Comment

Gauss Readings

I measured the gauss readings off the poles of two pickups today. Here they are for posterity (did I even spell that right)?

Mk1 Bridge Pickup
                              • South Towards Neck
                              • Top row of poles from bass to treble side 698, 617, 655, 739
                              • Bottom row of poles from bass to treble side 892, 810, 670, 705

Mk3 Neck Pickup
                              • South Towards Neck
                              • Top row of poles from bass to treble side 676, 800, 792, 800, 842
                              • Bottom row of poles from bass to treble side 742, 763, 776, 823, 740

Enjoy.

Comment

Has anyone got the dimensions of these pickups? Like the bobbins size and length of the poles?

Comment

Working...
                                X