My album on BitTorrent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My album on BitTorrent!

Happy new year to you all! I decided to give my new album "Way Of The Bedroom Worrier" away free on BitTorrent! You can find it on the Demonoid tracker here:

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/589104/7790640/

It's a compilation of all my best tunes so far, all done in my home studio since its first incarnation in about 2000. Most of the guitar and bass sounds (and even a few of the synths) were recorded with home-made tube amps and modded stomp boxes. The format is 256K MP3.

I got some friends to help me seed it, so it should download fast. Please let me know if you have trouble downloading. The only gotcha I'm aware of so far is that you only get three downloads per week if you're not a Demonoid member, and failed download attempts count towards your quota.

Warning: contains synths and drum machines. If you want good old rock or blues you may be disappointed.
    Last edited by Steve Conner; 01-01-2007, 04:03 PM.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Steve-Intrersted in listening as I do the same thing in the recording area with my portastudio.
    I have never downloaded this torrent type file and cant seem to open it. Do I require a spcl program or something?
    Bill

Comment

you need to obtain a bit torrent "client" program from the internet such as bit tornado, utorrent, azureus, etc. etc. And you might have to open up ports also.

Comment

I just discovered that due to a mess-up on my part, the mp3s might not play in Windows Media Player. I never found out because I use Winamp and my cyber street team all run Linux

If you don't have BitTorrent, you can download it directly from here

http://tentofiveproject.com/sounds/s...om-Worrier.zip

but bear in mind it will be slower.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          I just discovered that due to a mess-up on my part, the mp3s might not play in Windows Media Player. I never found out because I use Winamp and my cyber street team all run Linux

but bear in mind it will be slower.
          Way to go... I'll have to dl your album when I'm sure that my computer is running properly.

I've been using µTorrent as my BT client for awhile now and it works great (many of the private trackers do not let you use the basic Bit Torrent family of programs like BitLord and BitComet).

I'd been thinking about uploading my own album to one of the trackers, but unless there is interest to keep it seeded it will quickly die on the vine, so to speak.

As for public trackers I've uploaded a few torrents to TorrentBox... like the Muddy Waters album "After The Rains" which is where my [current] avatar came from.

For sharing stuff that I don't feel is appropriate for torrents I've been using MegaUpload, which is a little bit more user friendly than Rapid Share. I think that you can upload files as big as 100MB and they do have an optional toolbar which will allow you to upload faster than through their webpage.

Steve Ahola

P.S. As for the messed-up MP3 files, I put up a few torrents with corrupted files myself so I now use Trader's Little Helper to check all of the files first.
          The Blue Guitar
          www.blueguitar.org
          Some recordings:
          https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Good old Microsoft... they can't keep a standard, standard!

Except for Office I try to avoid their junk.

I'll have to download this this weekend and check it out...
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I just discovered that due to a mess-up on my part, the mp3s might not play in Windows Media Player. I never found out because I use Winamp and my cyber street team all run Linux ...
              Steve:

I think that Windows Media Player (aka WMP) is braindead... it insists on running whenever I insert an audio CD and then it gives me an error message that it can't play the file! This is on 2 different computers... LOL

Actually I did redirect Windows Explorer to play my cds with Roxio Audio Central (for some reason I've never liked playing cds with WinAmp. I just learned about using playlists with WinAmp- it works much better now!)

But how can WMP not know how to play cds??? It seems like that would be its minimum job requirement...

Steve Ahola

[edit 01/27/07- in my latest reinstallation of WinXP, WMP can actually play cds... way to go, Microsoft- ya finally figured out how to do it!]
              Last edited by Steve A.; 01-27-2007, 10:49 PM.
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                But how can WMP not know how to play cds??? It seems like that would be its minimum job requirement...
                As I said... good old Microsoft!

Why do people keep thinking they write good software?

It's probably a ploy to get the CD format changed to WMA...
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  As I said... good old Microsoft!

Why do people keep thinking they write good software?

It's probably a ploy to get the CD format changed to WMA...
                  The earlier versions of WMP would play DVD's right out of the box, but with one of the upgrades they removed the necessary codecs from your computer- even if they had been put there by a different program like PowerDVD! All of a sudden thousands of people couldn't play DVD's on their computer anymore and Microsoft's solution was for them to spend $20 buying a special (i.e. limited) edition of one of the players like PowerDVD. (I'm surprised that they didn't expect you to buy a Microsoft product to fix the problem.)

Steve Ahola

P.S. I bet that ALL of the music distributors wish that the CD format wasn't so unrestricted! Ever notice how DVD's will mess up when you are watching them? Probably much more often than CDs mess up... I blame it on the CSS (Content Scrambling System) which was supposed to scramble up the data on the discs so well that no one would be able to copy them. Well, there was a 14 year old kid in Holland who figured out how to UN-scramble his DVD's so that he could watch them on his notebook computer running Linux, so that copy protection scheme was a total bust, although we are stuck with the ridiculous file system which jumps back and forth between the layers at random. Kinda like the typewriter keyboard, which was made so WEIRD to slow down typists, who kept jamming up the machines by typing too fast...
                  The Blue Guitar
                  www.blueguitar.org
                  Some recordings:

Comment

Grr.

I'd love to hear this album, but demonoid won't let unregistered users download older torrents and they aren't currently accepting new accounts

The good news is that I'm running Fedora Core 3 and should have no problems with Microsoft's crap DRM/proprietary BS

Down with proprietarism!
                    Sony, Apple, Microsoft... proprietary priopism...
                    Didn't they learn anything from the faliure of Betamax? The market share of MacOS systems?
                    Arrgh.

Michael Miller

Comment

The BitTorrent thing was a bit of a fiasco, so I made it available as a zip.

Comment

Originally posted by mjmiller View Post
                        The good news is that I'm running Fedora Core 3 and should have no problems with Microsoft's crap DRM/proprietary BS
                        The problem with operating systems like that (or Linux) is the lack of commercial software. Sure you have stuff like the GIMP, but it doesn't compare to something like Photoshop (which I make a living using). I was a Linux and BeOS user, but I had to boot back into Mac OS to get any work done.

Originally posted by mjmiller View Post
                        Down with proprietarism!
                        Sony, Apple, Microsoft... proprietary priopism...
                        Didn't they learn anything from the faliure of Betamax? The market share of MacOS systems?
                        Or the market share of Windows? Clearly that argument doesn't hold water... the real problem that happened with both Sony and Apple was making it too expensive. VHS is proprietary. But they made the licensing cost reasonable, while Sony wanted an arm-and-a-leg.

Apple once charged $10,000 for a Mac II fx! And that didn't even include the display card! I see so many Apple laptops in my daily commute now... used to be one or two a week, now it's like 5 or 6 a day. Things are changing. Personally I don't care about market share, and I use what I feel is the best technology. Linux is cool, but it's no where as usable as OS X, and I can still compile and run X11 apps... if I had to, but I never do because there's so much free stuff out there already compiled for Macs. And... it's not Windows! (oh look... Vista has "new" features.. that were in OS X 3 years ago!)

Another misconception is that the PC platform was designed as some open non-proprietary computing platform. That's as far from the truth as you can get. It was proprietary IBM technology. It was patented. They never intended everyone and their mother to make IBM clones. It was compaq that reverse engineered IBM's BIOS, and MS who duped IBM into letting them have rights to sell IBM-DOS... IBM had no idea anyone could even use it, since they had the lock on the hardware! It was stolen from them.

I agree that DRM is stupid. Apple's Steve Jobs recently spoke out against DRM. He doesn't like it, but the record companies make him use it. He rightly points out that the majority of CD's don't use DRM (thank the Goddess!) and nothing stops people from copying those.

Apple's DRM is easy to get around though... just burn a CD and reimport the tracks.
                        Last edited by David Schwab; 02-27-2007, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Steve,
                          I am totally blind. Thanks for the link, I'm downloading now Looking forward to hearing your album

David,
                          Wow. Sorry, I didn't mean to push any buttons, and I'm not some "Dos rules, Macs suck!" sort of Mac basher - I used to use Macs every day for 3d modelling in school.
                          Actually, I totally agree with most of your points.
                          That was one of those off topic, grumbling comments that I make occasionally - I was worked up about a not related issue (work) and irrationally lashed out at DRM, totally misrepresenting myself. I'm good at that.
                          I need to just learn to take deep breaths and count to 10 before I post.
                          I haven't used Photoshop CS3, but I hear it's amazing. While the GIMP lags behind photoshop a bit in feature, it does everything I've ever wanted it to do and much more, but I'm not a professional graphic designer.
                          The kinds of things I use my machine for, Linux does fantastically. I used to use macs a lot and they were as unstable then as windows PCs were. I hear OSX is massively more stable than previous versions, but I haven't been able to try it out. I have had a lot of bad experiences with MacOS and Windows and so I have a lot of hang ups from years ago that are probably irrational. I used to produce the "bad mac face" screen 3 or 4 times a day when I was in school. I'm pretty abusive of computers and I expect them to deal with it
                          Linux is the most rock solid platform I've used and I like the flexibility it gives me, for instance the stable realtime optimized kernel I'm running makes preliminary real time testing of my sound processing software possible on my pathetically slow machine. I also have been able to reduce the operating environment down to the bare essentials so that my overhead, in addition to getting the hell out of my way fast, is tiny.
                          So your tools are what works best for you and my tools are what work best for me.
                          We have each optimized our own operating environments and they are totally different. This is unsurprising because we do totally different things with them

I'm going to shut up now because, as usual, I am totally off topic - my operating system of choice has very little to do with the intersection of music and electronics

Michael Miller

Comment

I dig the album - on track 5 - title track, I think, your tone reminds me of John Scofield on Bump... super friggin sweet. What did you use to record the lead guitar on that one?
                            track 7 is like... almost like a lost track from Radiohead's OK computer or something.

Comment

The lead guitar on that track (well both guitars actually) was an old beat up Fylde Pack Leader:

http://www.freewebs.com/robsmx5/packleader.htm

played through my Toaster amp:

http://scopeboy.com/toaster.html

and I seem to remember, a cheap Marshall valvestate 2x12" extension cab mic'd with an Audio Technica condenser mic.

The track was recorded years ago. I recorded the rhythm guitar part, looped it in Cubase, and improvised the lead part over it. I was just messing about, but the result started to grow on me, and once I'd pitchshifted a few bum notes it sounded decent. I remixed it a couple of months back, adding a load of digital reverb, and a bass part to try and make it progress a bit instead of just sounding like a looped jam.

The scary thing is that the Pack Leader that guy restored is the actual one I played! I gave it to my brother years ago and had no idea what he did with it until I recognised it on that guy's site. I always wanted to restore it myself, but I realised I didn't have the skill to do it properly.

PS: Thanks for the OK Computer reference, can I quote you on that?
                              Last edited by Steve Conner; 02-28-2007, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X