No announcement yet.

My album on BitTorrent!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, you didn't push any buttons! I was just contributing to a lively discussion. My point was that most of the things we use are proprietary in one way or another, and that's not always a bad thing, but it can be.

Personally I like Linux, and I enjoyed my time with it before I started running OS X. I also really liked BeOS, maybe even more than what ever version of Mac OS I was running at the time (7.5 - 8.6). And believe me, I'd rather run Linux than Windows. I also really liked NeXTSTEP/OpenStep, which of course is what OS X is derived from.

Yeah, Macs were pretty unstable at times, but I haven't had my Mac crash in over a year now... OS X is rock solid.

This is the computer section, so you weren't that off topic!
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      Michael, you didn't push any buttons! I was just contributing to a lively discussion. My point was that most of the things we use are proprietary in one way or another, and that's not always a bad thing, but it can be.
      I totally agree with you.
      And it's good to know I didn't push any buttons. It's so hard to gauge where people are coming from in a text only format

I'll just have to use more of these smilies

Comment

Wow. That is one sweet guitar. I was just checking out your toaster last night in fact. We have very similar philosophies about filtering. I was thinking about doing something similar, but with a more complex pre filter - either bax type with adjustable midpoint or baxandall and parametric mid boost for detailed pre distortion filtering. Hadn't thought about dual parametric post eqs, though.

The similarity to Scofield on some of the tracks on Bump is amazing, though. Granted, he's a freaking jazz virtuoso(used to play for Miles Davis), but your *tone*... must have a similar style under them right hand fingers

You can totally quote me on the Radiohead reference lol
        Glad to see somebody else out there likes OK Computer.
        Do you have any idea what's being done to York's voice on Everything in it's Right Place (Kid A) I freaking love whatever it is. That's the kind of stuff that inspires me to code.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          The lead guitar on that track (well both guitars actually) was an old beat up Fylde Pack Leader:
          Cool guitar! I remember those. I always thought Martin Barre got a great tone... very under rated player.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hear hear! I had a friend who always made fun of Martin Barre, but was a huge fan of Dave Pegg - go figure. I think they're both really underrated and worked beautifully together. I haven't heard anything Barre's done outside of Tull, but my favorite Fairport Convention stuff is the Pegg stuff - brilliant arrangements.

Comment

I'm downloading it now! I'm sure it will be good.
              [url=http://www.prudentiallease.com]Heavy Truck Financing[/url]

Comment

Where did you get it? Demonoid closed down and I had to move the zip file because I ran out of web space. I guess you're either really keen, or some kind of script whose sole purpose is to advertise "heavy truck financing".

Anyone who actually wants to listen to this can now hear it at:

http://scopeboy.is-a-geek.net/~steve...oom%20Worrier/

steve
                "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
                X