No announcement yet.

Peavey xr600b distorted output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally didn't mean any disrespect. As an automotive technician I understand the diagnostic time costs and part costs wholesale vs.retail/ebay/amazon. Like I said, I appreciate your sharing your time and knowledge on here. I always enjoy sharing what I know when and where I can. See you again soon.

Comment

Just a Addon Question for the XR600B. I am wanting to use the XR600B as a Power Amp only for my speakers. Is PWR AMP Input on the bottom right of the Front Panel a Balanced TRS or Unbalanced TR Quarter Inch ?
      I want to come out of another mixer with a XLR out to this 1/4" POWER Amp In
      thanks,
      Fred

Comment

Fred - The Power Amp input is Unbalanced TR Quarter Inch. This is a Mono system.

Comment

Thanks Tom, so i assume they make a XLR to 1/4 Unbalanced cable i can purchase ?

Comment

You need to be VERY careful with those types of cables. Yes, you will find one but it may not work properly. If you are coming out of another system with an XLR, you might consider going through one of the input channels and keep the volume level low. THe other option I have used is to go through a (cheapo) Direct Box. The internal transformer will help make the connection and solve the problem of impedance differences.

Comment

Whirlwind Little IMP Lo-Z XLR to Hi-Z 1/4" Inline Impedance Matcher

Comment

Good Idea, so just go from the Mixers Main XLR out to channel 1 XLR in on the XR600B and connect the speakers. This is temporary. I bought a used Mackie DL1608 and will get some powered Speakers later.
                yes i would rather use the whirlwind you mentioned with a existing XLR cable and skip the Preamp/equalizer and just use the Amplifier of the XR600B

Comment

Originally posted by TomCarlos View Post
                  You need to be VERY careful with those types of cables. Yes, you will find one but it may not work properly. If you are coming out of another system with an XLR, you might consider going through one of the input channels and keep the volume level low. THe other option I have used is to go through a (cheapo) Direct Box. The internal transformer will help make the connection and solve the problem of impedance differences.
                  The problem with using an ordinary transformer DI, or any of those in-line mic/line transformer adapters, is there's an enormous voltage gain/loss depending which direction you're using the transformer. In this case, expect a big jump in signal level, driving the mic out side of the transformer, and plugging the unbal in side of that transformer into an input. What can be used is a bridging transformer, with a fairly high impedance both on the primary and secondary sides. That transformer can be placed in a metal box - size of an ordinary guitar pedal - with appropriate connectors installed, or even leads sprouting out, again with appropriate connectors. Super cheap Mouser Xicon transformer 42TL218-RC only $4 would suffice. Although the specs show this is severely bandlimited, 300 Hz at the low end - I've found that's at the limits of its power spec. As long as you're not whacking them with a huge signal, the Xicon transformers perform pretty darn well! Better, bigger transformers can also be had cheap, for instance Tamura MET-09, Mouser part # 838-MET-09 $15.07 .

One caution must be observed with any line/mic transformer, it will pick up hum if placed in proximity to any power transformer. So don't park your converter on top of your Peavey amp at the heavy end. Other than that, I've made and used these kinds of impedance converters with excellent results.
                  This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Don't forget.... if your Mixer is a stereo output, you will take the Right and Left out to separate inputs on the 600B. Otherwise, you will lose one side of the stereo signal. Not a big deal if you have a one channel signal. But if you are using an Ipod or other similar device, you will lose half the recording.

If you are curious to learn more on this topic, do a Google search on "why xlr to 1/4 does not work".

Good luck!!

Comment

Working...
                    X