Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tungsram HELP!!!!

Hello to anyone reding this! I'm kind of new with tubes, but already i find
    myself in a bit of a jam..see, the thing is, i've gotten hold of a couple of
    NOS Tungsram tubes..all good untill here. One of them is a DY 86, beam power (i think), plate cap, all writing perfectly visible, everything clear..The second one on the other hand is giving me a hard time, because, the writing on it is almost completely gone..i can barely make out the TUNGSRAM logo, and only part of the code, the end i think, which is also ' 86 ' , but not much more..it doesn't look like a beam power tube, it doesn't have a plate cap either, and apart from the fact that it also has 9 pins & the same type of socket, it doesn't have anything else in common with the first tube-not to the naked eye at least..but that ' 86 ' is making me wonder if it isn't also a DY 86...i haven't found anything on the net either that even slightly resembles that second tube...so..
    My question is : is it possible that, for the same type(code) of tube, maybe
    made by different factories of the same manufacturer -although i'm not so sure that there was more than one Tungsram factory, not before it "turned" into Mullard anyway-or in different time periods, there could be two different types of construction, one beam power, and one "normal"(not beam power) ?
    Or am i simply dealing with another tube that also has ' 86 ' in it's code ?
    How can i know for sure?..Perhaps point me to some datasheets, or a catalog or something, so i could at least make some tests..
    Please help me out..Thank you in advance to anyone who can!

A DY86 looks like a simple diode to me...nothing more.
    There is such a thing as an EF86 that would be a preamp tube.

Check here for tube info:
    http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/tubesearch.php

and for Duncan's tube info program:
    http://www.duncanamps.com/tdslpe/

For what it's worth... as a novice to this whole thing, I think you should stick with known tubes and easily found ones.
    Get some amp schematics out and look at what about +95% of all tube amps use.
    Ignore tube brand names for now and don't try and use obscure tubes that will just waste a lot of your "learning time".
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

DY86 is a single anode rectifier for high voltage (>1KV) in TV applications, needs 1.4V heater voltage, not of much use to us.

A photo would help a lot on the other tube. Do you see one or two separate mechanical structures inside?
      Single structure could be: EL86, EC86 ...
      Two structures: ECl86, ECF86 ....

There are many tubes with "86" in type designation.
      Aleksander Niemand
      Zagray! amp- PG review Aug 2011
      Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise. -Pierre Beaumarchais, playwright (1732-1799)

Comment

Working...
      X