Ampeg b-100 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg b-100 problem

Hi everyone. I've got an ampeg b-100 bass amp from the '70's which is a very simple solid state combo amp. It's volume has been going up and down on it's own every couple of minutes, toggling between normal and much quieter. It's got a schematic inside the case and I'd like to fix it myself. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks in advance for your help.

mike

Originally posted by machinegunstudios View Post
    Hi everyone. I've got an ampeg b-100 bass amp from the '70's which is a very simple solid state combo amp. It's volume has been going up and down on it's own every couple of minutes, toggling between normal and much quieter. It's got a schematic inside the case and I'd like to fix it myself. Any ideas on where to start troubleshooting? Thanks in advance for your help.
    mike
    First try it through a different speaker. Clean/lube all the pots, switches and jacks. Resolder everything, especially the input jacks and in that area. Also resolder the speaker connections. If you still have a problem you may be able to isolate it with some freeze mist or tapping on connections. If it isn't obvious then you need a signal generator, a load resistor, and a scope.

Comment

fixed

thanks for the advice. I hit all the pots with some deoxit and reflowed all teh solder joints. Seems to have done the trick. On another note, anyone know any good website that have a primer on how to troubleshoot with a scope? I've had one for years but never really used it.

Comment

Glad to be of service. I would suggest a trip to the library or goggle, "How to use an o'scope." A lot of us cringe when people make statements like this. Guitar amplifiers, especially tube amplifiers, have potentially lethal voltages inside, even after being unplugged for a while. If you do not know basic troubleshooting safety proceedures and how to discharge power supplies, I would recommend learning that first.

Comment

Thanks old dog. Point noted. I've been working with tube amps for years and I've even built a couple so I have plenty of respect for high voltage and I know the rules. That's a good warning to give though. I just haven't done much troubleshooting and the solid state side of things is a bit of a puzzle for me yet. I think there needs to be an electrocution emoticon.

Comment

Working...
          X