Marshal Valvestate Model 8100 Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshal Valvestate Model 8100 Trouble

I bought this Valvestate Model 8100 head new around 1992 (or so)

I used it often then put it in storage about 10 years ago and recently had a need for it but when I powered it up, the output level seemed low and there was a loud hum.

Thinking the hum was poor ripple from a Bad filter cap leaking through to the signal path, I changed C41, C40, C52 and C59. This didn't help, and actually the ripple was worse and the hum was still there, so I changed C40, and C41 back to the original Caps.

Looking at the output signal, it seems that the Hum I am hearing is almost exactly a 250 hertz Sinewave... in poking around, I think I found a shorted cap (C42) and changed it but the Hum is still there.

In an effort to fix this amp, I am going to change ALL the Electrolytic Caps and continue from there figuring that the age of the amp has something to do with old failing caps and I will get lucky.

Am I chasing my tail with this amp or am I headed in the right direction to get this thing rockin' again?

Thoughts?

I'm attaching the Schematics for reference

Thanks to anyone for some input.

ChrisMek
    Attached Files

Valvestate Loud Hum

Before you change anything, resolder the connections to the two main filter capacitors in the power supply. (C61 and C62, 2200uf/50V)

Heat and suck out the old solder, make sure the caps are properly seated in place and then resolder them.

Steve

Comment

I forgot to mention, that C61 and C62 were the first caps I changed when all this first started. I changed those caps, and when it didn't fix it, I set the amp aside for a couple months until recently diving back into it.

So the short of it is, they were recently replaced and are soldered in there well.

Thanks for the reply

Comment

I know. This is a very very old thread.
        Someone might have the same issue though.

My Valvestate 8100 head was just hum and nothing else.

I changed all the big capacitors.
        In the end it was the two 1000uF 16V that fixed it. I was losing all hope because those where the last ones to replace and I thought it wouldn't make it. But it did

Last time I heard working was something like 9 years ago!

Back from hell.

Comment

Working...
        X