New Member, first build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member, first build.

I just built a 5e3 amp using a hoffman board kit inside an old PE tube pa head that was gutted of everythign but transformers and sockets. I wired my board in using 6sl7 tubes in the preamp, and changed the cathode resistor from a 250 ohm one to a 390 ohm one, which feels liek it has less compression, more attack, and runs a little cleaner. High and low gain on the bright channel, and just high gain on the normal channel. It was my first build, and it was a lot of fun. :-)

you'll be hooked soon and building others!

how does it sound?

have any hum issues?

what kind of speaker are you using?

I built my 5E3 as a head unit also, my fave speaker cab is a 1x12 with a Weber sig series ALNICO, I was all excited this week when the Eminence Wizzard came (slate to reside in my AC30 ish build), I was at first disapointed at the sound on the 5E3, but realized what a truely good deal I got on that Weber and that made me feel pretty good.

congrats on your first sucessful build.

keep up the interest in amp building and maybe we will have a discussion on lead dress.

Comment

There is a hum if all the volumes are down. And its a low hum, it doesn't get louder if you turn it up, so it doesn't bother me. I am using an Epiphone Valve Jr cab with a Lady Luck emminence speaker in it.

Comment

that small low level hum is a hallmark of tube amps.

I've seen thoe yellow luck lady's, but havent heard one yet. foud out recently they are no longer made and sought after.

Comment

Since I got my first tube amp, a silverface bandmaster stack, when i was 16, I've never played anythign that wasn't tube. I know there is a certain amount of hum associated with these beasts, but this amp has a little more, lower frequency hum than I'm acustomed to. I've played a few silvertones, old ampegs, and the like. Like i said. It doesn't get louder, and I can only notice it when I first turn it on and don't play anything.
          As far as the Lady Lucks go, I thought they were still installing them in the Valve Jr. cabs. They came stock in that and the so-cal 4x12 cabs Epi built. But i use this cab with this speaker for every head i have. or have had in recent history anyways. It's open-back, and works well with the 5e3 type amps...

Comment

Working...
          X