Looking for winder for multiple round coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for winder for multiple round coils

Anyone have a recommendation for a automatic coil winder to run multiple coils at a time? I'm producing a pickup with 8 coils per pickup, and two per instrument and want to automate the process... My wishlist is as follows..

3-6 bobbins per shot
    Gear based
    Automated traverse
    upto 42 awg.

I like vintage machines.

I think there is a few meteor machines out there that might work. Does anyone have a recommendation? I'd like to do the least modding possible. I'd love to get my hands on a gorman 2+2 but I doubt that is going to happen.

Heres a picture of the bobbins
    Attached Files

You can stick all the bobbins on a shaft and put it between centers on a tailstock winder. You just need a narrow tensioner that you can stack up side by side on your traverse.

I'd think it would be easier to automate the loading and unloading of a single bobbin rather than have to do all that manually to a whole stack of bobbins at once and then repeat it every 6 minutes unless you have two winders going side by side at even intervals.

Comment

I plan on winding REALLY fast. The bobbins are not oblong but circular, so I dont have the normal whipping going on. Im sure I can get into the 6-7000 RPM range, maybe more if I slow start up..

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
        I plan on winding REALLY fast. The bobbins are not oblong but circular, so I don't have the normal whipping going on. I'm sure I can get into the 6-7000 RPM range, maybe more if I slow start up..
        And slow stop as well.

Comment

Why not just sub these coils out to a firm that has the high speed, automated winding equipment? Cine-Mag? I wonder if the bobbins already exist out there too -waiting to be tapped.

Comment

Those coils look remarkably similar to ones I was windiing for Hex sustainer research...

(ignore the text - that relates to posting on a UK Engineering forum!)....that's a sewing machine bobbin that I wound copper wire onto!

I've parked the project for the time being, but I had a similar requirement (to wind six bobbins quickly). I'm too tight to sub out (anyway, this is just a hobby for me), so I was going to go bobbinless & wind straight onto the steel core....I even went so far as to get some little jigs made up to allow quick alignment/changing of the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by peskywinnets View Post
              Those coils look remarkably similar to ones I was windiing for Hex sustainer research...
              Similar, but with a lot more winds and thinner wire.

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
              www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Anyone have a recommendation for a automatic coil winder to run multiple coils at a time? I'm producing a pickup with 8 coils per pickup, and two per instrument and want to automate the process... My wishlist is as follows..
                I know it doesn't do multiples, but my wife's sewing machine would fill a bobbin like that in about 30 seconds Even traverses nicely !

similar to this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_gQABvM4hU"]YouTube - Sewing & Fashion Design : How to Wind a Sewing Machine Bobbin[/ame]
                www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Thats pretty facinating. The traversing probably wouldnt work with magnet wire, but im going to go to my local fabric store and give it a try.. I say this product called "The easy winder" which may work if I can mod it to have a counter, and a better tensioner.

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
                    I know it doesn't do multiples, but my wife's sewing machine would fill a bobbin like that in about 30 seconds Even traverses nicely !

similar to this YouTube - Sewing & Fashion Design : How to Wind a Sewing Machine Bobbin
                    This was how i used to wind round bobbins when i started pickup making a couple of years ago.
                    I ended up with with multiple coils with only one start and one end wire.
                    Attached Files

Comment

This winder cost me around $400. It runs on RC servos. I had it set up to do as many as 8 humbucker bobbins but pared it down to 6 because it was not real stable. But I bet you could do 8 round bobbins easy. Dialing it in was a pain but once done it worked flawlessly.I stopped using it when I got the Leesona 102.

They don't make them like they used to... We do.
                      www.throbak.com
                      Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Thats pretty facinating. The traversing probably wouldnt work with magnet wire, but im going to go to my local fabric store and give it a try.. I say this product called "The easy winder" which may work if I can mod it to have a counter, and a better tensioner.
                        There are also winders on ebay specifically for bobbins. Pretty cheap if I remember correctly, and probably easy to modify.
                        www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Working...
                        X