A real soldering iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A real soldering iron

I mentioned an old 500-watt soldering iron I bought for $2.00 at a used tools store. All it needed was a new power cord. Anyway, here is a photo. The gridlines are 1" apart. The iron weighs 1.25 Kg (2.75 pounds). The tip is copper, the body is mild steel, and the handle is painted wood (with an airspace near the tip to keep the handle from getting too hot).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Joe Gwinn; 10-19-2009, 01:30 AM.

Now show us how to use this on SMD components
    Aleksander Niemand
    Zagray! amp- PG review Aug 2011
    Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise. -Pierre Beaumarchais, playwright (1732-1799)

Comment

Wow, that's a big sucker! I have an old one that's pretty big... but not that big.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Alex/Tubewonder View Post
        Now show us how to use this on SMD components
        It's easy ... the SMD components pop like corn in a popcorn popper.

Comment

I remember one exactly like that in the showed scene from the movie "Psycho." What a horrible way to die....
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I type too fast when I get up....THE SHOWER SCENE FROM "PSYCHO"....
            Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
              That's cus your hand is still vibrating.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                You know... that's what that button is for...
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  You know... that's what that button is for...
                  You told'em? It supposed to be a secret...
                  Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy

Comment

That's beginning to look a lot less like a soldering iron and a lot more like a stake for killing werewolves. Vampires, even, if the handle is hawthorn...
                    Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
                    Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Comment

Edit button, where the hell is that? Oh, ok now I see it, didn' know about that. Now how do you do those quotes thingys?
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I wonder if that was meant for auto body work. Body men used to use hot lead, something like that could help you smooth it out before sanding.

Comment

Back when Plumbers worked with lead (Pb) pipe, all joints were sweated between the pipes with a thing like this. Before electricity, they usually had a coal or charcoal filled bucket to keep several of them hot while they worked with one. I have some I got from my grandfather that are about 18" long and weigh 3-4 pounds each. (He wasn't a plumber but a physicist at Bell Labs.). He dream in later life was to create a water sprinkler that watered evenly over a perfectly square patch of lawn. I don't think the corded ones were big enough for his uses but I remember him firing his up over the gas stove in the kitchen and taking them out to his workshop next to the garage to try soldering his pile of brass gears, cams shafts, pipes and nozzles together.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonG View Post
                            I wonder if that was meant for auto body work. Body men used to use hot lead, something like that could help you smooth it out before sanding.
                            Could be.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                              Could be.
                              I recognize that iron. It's from the old double bar ranch down the road!
                              www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Working...
                              X