Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampeg SVT-VR&CL popping intermittently

Well,
    I was thinking I was finally through with this Ampeg from the prior thread (ground loop hum...), when it started popping like static discharge.

If I pounded on the chassis, the popping got worse. I isolated it to the main amp chassis.

It turns out that if I grounded the metal base on one of the 6550 tubes, the popping went away.

I never realized that on some of the versions of the 6550's have that metal base connected to pin one (not all of the ones I have, have this connection). I guess that helps shield the longer connections to the actual tube inside.

Turns out pin one was not making good connection to the tube socket. I tightened that pin in the socket & the problem was solved.

It still ain't over...I've got other problems with the -15V. see other post...glen

Thanks for posting this!

Originally posted by Mars Amp Repair View Post
    Well,
    I was thinking I was finally through with this Ampeg from the prior thread (ground loop hum...), when it started popping like static discharge.

If I pounded on the chassis, the popping got worse. I isolated it to the main amp chassis.

It turns out that if I grounded the metal base on one of the 6550 tubes, the popping went away.

I never realized that on some of the versions of the 6550's have that metal base connected to pin one (not all of the ones I have, have this connection). I guess that helps shield the longer connections to the actual tube inside.

Turns out pin one was not making good connection to the tube socket. I tightened that pin in the socket & the problem was solved.

It still ain't over...I've got other problems with the -15V. see other post...glen
    I was able to get rid of intermittent popping noises doing the same thing. ADDITIONALLY, this particular unit was suffering from a heavy buzz saw kind of sound when switching on Standby. This symptom also disappeared when the grounding issue was resolved. Random issue, but just in case anyone else was scratching their heads. I was fooling with tubes on this thing for a couple weeks... silly me.

Comment

Working...
    X