Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capacitors.. which ones for which applications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which type Orange Drop are you using for comparison?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
      Which type Orange Drop are you using for comparison?

Comment

No discussion of Orange Drops is complete unless we know what type is being evaluated. Now I understand how you got that opinion of Orange Drops.
        The type PS Orange drop, IMHO, sounds good in a guitar amp.

BTY, I do like the 150s. I also like the 150 form factor better for hand wired amp work.

Cheers,
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
          No discussion of Orange Drops is complete unless we know what type is being evaluated. Now I understand how you got that opinion of Orange Drops.
          The type PS Orange drop, IMHO, sounds good in a guitar amp.

BTY, I do like the 150s. I also like the 150 form factor better for hand wired amp work.

Cheers,
          Tom
          Yeah, I definitely like config of the 150s better than the OD config.

Are the PSs polystyrene?

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

For guitar amps, especially tweed circuits, polyester is the shizzle.

Comment

And what does shizzle sound like?
                "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by JoeM View Post
                  And what does shizzle sound like?
                  Is that that frying bacon sound?

Comment

Originally posted by Tele-Cat View Post
                    Yeah, I definitely like config of the 150s better than the OD config.

Are the PSs polystyrene?
                    PS type rated 200 thru 1000 VDC are Polyester film.
                    The higher voltage PS type are different dielectric and different construction but those higher voltage one are not applicable to guitar amp circuits anyway. It is interesting that there are so many different types and variations within the type. There are over 20 type versions of "Orange Drops"

Tom

Comment

Just the thing when working on your Marshall JCM.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Try this: take a .01 or .02 uF cap of each type and switch them out in a Fender amp where the preamp is coupled to the PI. I wonder if you can hear any differences. Keep in mind the tolerances may skew the test.

I tried this once with .02's and found that I favored this cap i found called a "TINY CHIEF", anybody know what these things are?
                        Anyway, it may have been the tolerances but I heard differences with each.

I have also subscribed to the idea that 400V coupling caps sound different than 600V. Am I going crazy? Maybe I've been handling lead solder too often.

Comment

Where? In what applications? Under what circumstances?
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I'm talking about playing a guitar through the amp and listening. The 400/600 in the same position I mentioned... is that what you mean? did I forget to mention that Kush was also preferred to Northern Lights during the test?

Comment

Oh. Well I certainly would carefully measure the actual capacitance of each as well as its ESR.

Comment

Yes, you're right, I think it has little bearing until I do so.

Comment

Working...
                                X