Help fix Chicago Thomas Organ Cybaby.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help fix Chicago Thomas Organ Cybaby.

I got one of these pedals in real good shape, But It had a TDK inductor which didn't sound nice with OD.

S0....

- I converted to true bypass

- Replaced Scratchy Pot with CTS Icar taper

- Put In a Whipple Inductor

Ever since the mod occasionally the pedals signal is replaced by a loud SHHHHHH sound when engaged, (which responds to rocker movement)....

Though usually it works correctly.

The legs on the whipple didn't match well with this old wah, They snapped off by bending them only couple of times. I replaced them with legs made from resistor ends. I don't think that's the problem though.

Is that a bad filter cap? should I put back the old switch? Change the electrolytic caps?

Anybody seen this?
    Last edited by Elvisofnazareth; 10-24-2009, 03:46 AM. Reason: typo's

Was the CTS replacement pot brand new? I've seen dirty pots cause this and I've seen resistors cause hiss. Typically resistor hiss is constant, you'll hear it all the time.

Out of curiosity, before you modified your wah, was your OD pedal before or after the wah?

Comment

Yes, it's a
      brand new pot. Not scratchy at all, sounds great.(When the pedal is working right)

I'm a Od after wah kinda fella'. All the effects (in front and after) have been true bypass for a while now.

Though I just added a buffered 80's Ibanez ddl 20 delay at the end. (which is a sleeper!)

Comment

Send all your old TDK inductors to me! I will give them a good home. I prefer them to ANY other inductor I've ever heard. The First thing I'd do with an old wah is change the electrolytics.

Comment

I put the whole pedal back to stock, Including the SPDT & TDK.... now it pops when switched on.... (every time not just startup....)

I want to change the non tone caps, But on this wah they're ALL a silver foil color ....

Are these all electrolytics??

They all are silver with a red stripe.

Which should I change?

Thanks you guys.

Comment

I figured It was the output cap.... swapped it out, reinstalled the tpdt switch....... FIXED.......... SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I've got some extra caps

I've some exact Thomas Caps with correct Thomas Stock Numbers on them if anyone is interested. Lots of the Silver Foil with red line as well as a few electrolitics, both polorized and non-polorized. Best to contact me directly with the email button as I don't visit this site often. Original 5117 transistors, Dimestacks and TDK as well. TB

Comment

Working...
              X