Finished my first 5E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished my first 5E3

I've built a 5F1 and a 5F4, but this was my first 5E3.

Parts sourced from Hoffman, tubes from Tube Depot, Mercury transformers from JMI Music in Texas. The owner (I built it for a friend, I already have a Clay Hullett-built Deluxe) is acquiring the cab and speaker (He's in FL, I'm in CA) so I just did the chassis.

I confess, this is the first build that didn't need help when I thought I was finished. I managed to get the Champ going myself but Cury Emery helped me with the Super. Damn Weber diagram, I wired up the jacks wrong and had a microphonic tube. I learned a LOT building the Super and I learned almost as much with this one.

Pics Below:

I was following a thread from Scott on your build over at the TGP...very nice work.

I'm curious what others here think about the suggestion by one of the members at the other forum regarding swapping the 5W cathode resistor for 10W.

Here is the post from the other forum:

"Some food for thought, I have been seeing this a lot lately from various builders, but when looking at the amps by those who are really on top of the heap in quality this kind of sticks out.

On the board, the cathode resistor and bypass cap clearances and types. Those caps are rated at 85 degrees Celsius. (85 degree Celsius = 185 degree Fahrenheit) Exposing them by letting them sit against the resistor will shorten the life.
    Those 5W ceramic resistors get way hotter than that in less than 1 hour of operation.

If you look inside any Clark, Victoria, Richter and others the are using a 10W or higher resistor and have 1/2 inch or more airspace between the cap and resistor."
    Attached Files

Comment

I can tell you I replaced it with a 10-watt resistor (220 ohm instead of 250, closest I could get) and got it the hell away from that cap. I detect no audible difference

I wish I'd made the board a little neater. Next time. Of course, my next build, I'll probably make my own board. I like the boards from Ken at Turretboards, but I think some of the eyelet spacing could be tightened up a bit and still have room for everything.

Anyone ever made their own boards?

Comment

Yeah I make my own boards all the time. Big savings

Just use good quality phenolic or other equivalent high-voltage switch panel board.
        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
          Yeah I make my own boards all the time. Big savings

Just use good quality phenolic or other equivalent high-voltage switch panel board.
          Got a favorite source? Do they cut to size or do you cut it yourself. I have no table saw.

Comment

Tele-cat, looking good!

Im almost done my 5E3.

I had to laugh, here I am hunting down some Phillips head 10-32 screws for the chassis, ( all I have are wood screws with a phillips head) and you've got some Robertson Screws for yours! Some Canadian I am!

Comment

It's funny, it sounds almost exactly like the one Clay Hullett built for me almost 12 years ago. I wish I knew then what I know now, I could have built my own but it sounds so good, I don't think I could build it any better and it's all broken in now, getting that component drift that makes 'em sound even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Tele-Cat View Post
                It's funny, it sounds almost exactly like the one Clay Hullett built for me almost 12 years ago. I wish I knew then what I know now, I could have built my own but it sounds so good, I don't think I could build it any better and it's all broken in now, getting that component drift that makes 'em sound even better.
                It's already broken in? Now that's a trick!!
                I hope mine sounds that good.

I remember when I got my guitar home, and my old peavey SS didn't make me sound as good as the '57 Deluxe in the store did. That had tone / vibe / mojo had me sold.

Comment

No, the 5E3 I just built is for a friend. he bought all the parts. THe one I have, I've had since 1998.

The Hullett is broken in. The one I built is as fresh and clean as a newly-washed sheet.

Comment

Hmmmmm, as opinionated as you were regarding Weber I thought you actually had some experience at amp building. Now we see this is your first 5E3. OK, that clarifies things a bit. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I have built a Champ, a 5F4 Super, and now a Deluxe. That makes three. Yes. this is my first 5E3, but by no means my first amp. How many amps have you built, Cletus?

Nice try with the ad hominem, but FAIL.

Besides, what do you care what I think of Weber? Is he your dad or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Leif H View Post
                        Tele-cat, looking good!

Im almost done my 5E3.

I had to laugh, here I am hunting down some Phillips head 10-32 screws for the chassis, ( all I have are wood screws with a phillips head) and you've got some Robertson Screws for yours! Some Canadian I am!
                        Don't know where in Canada you are, I got my hardware from Orchard Supply in Milpitas, CA. They have all sorts of machine screws including stainless, which I may use next time.

Comment

OK, 3 amps. Wow, that clarifies things. OK. No ad hominem intended (isn't ad hominem a tactic used to subvert an opponents argument by destroying their character? Were we having an argument here that I wasn't aware of?) it's just nice to gain a perspective on where someone is coming from when they go public with criticism's of someone else's products & services (keeping in mind many people read these threads for information, your public criticism could end up costing those you criticize business. Think about the ethics involved). Maybe you could have clarified that where/when you made your criticisms, but perhaps that's expecting too much.

Comment

Originally posted by hasserl View Post
                            OK, 3 amps. Wow, that clarifies things. OK. No ad hominem intended (isn't ad hominem a tactic used to subvert an opponents argument by destroying their character? Were we having an argument here that I wasn't aware of?) it's just nice to gain a perspective on where someone is coming from when they go public with criticism's of someone else's products & services (keeping in mind many people read these threads for information, your public criticism could end up costing those you criticize business. Think about the ethics involved). Maybe you could have clarified that where/when you made your criticisms, but perhaps that's expecting too much.
                            As I said in SoWatt thread, I had a very negative customer experience with Weber. Out of courtesy, I'll refrain from detailing the experience but it soured me on Weber. Friends of mine have also had less than stellar customer experiences with Weber. Coincidence or conspiracy?

I don't think anything I say will cost Weber any business. His price points alone will ensure many customers. Certainly on the guitar boards, there are legions of acolytes who take any criticism of Weber as a personal affront, despite the fact Ted wasn't their kin, or even their friend.

As I said in the other thread, I prefer using higher-quality parts for my builds than Weber includes in his kits. Besides, I don't buy "kits" any more anyway, I have a BOM for a 5E3, a 5F4 and a 5F1, the amps I've built.

I also said, anyone who likes Weber stuff, more power to you. Rock on. His stuff just isn't for me.

Given our...head-butting in the politics section, I presumed your attitude from that forum was spilling over. If I am mistaken, I apologize.

I'm still a commie bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by Tele-Cat View Post
                              Don't know where in Canada you are, I got my hardware from Orchard Supply in Milpitas, CA. They have all sorts of machine screws including stainless, which I may use next time.
                              I'm in a wee place called Toronto.

I was just searching the screw tray for stainless 10 - 32 screws and cup washers. we have lots of ss #8 oval heads, no machine screws, I guess I'm off to the hardware store.

Comment

Working...
                              X