Finished my first 5E3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tele-Cat View Post
    By the way, in my cab with my speaker (Emi Legend 102p) the amp sounds terrific.
    A 10-inch speaker or a misprint for 112P?

Comment

Probably a mistype. I think Pete's told me he has an Eminence Legend 122P in his. He called it the best Jensen clone ever made, better than the RI Jensens.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Auld View Post
        Probably a mistype. I think Pete's told me he has an Eminence Legend 122P in his. He called it the best Jensen clone ever made, better than the RI Jensens.
        Thanks Scott, you have it right. I have 102Ps in my Super.

Comment

Originally posted by Tele-Cat View Post
          As I've said, I have no problem with people who like Weber. More power to you.

I do notice Hasserl has yet, more than a week later, to regale us with how many amps he's built.

My guess is none.
          Uh, I bet you're wrong, and I'm a very good guesser....
          I'd also bet that his amps work.

Everyone has to get started sometime, and I've only been doing this for a little over a year. I've got 4 builds completed without issues. But, it wouldn't have been possible without the extensive knowledge of around a dozen folks on this forum and their willingness to share this knowledge. It must get tiresome for them to answer all of the same stupid questions over and over, when a new inexperienced builder shows up here. Most of them have amazing patience. The only real skill I have is being able to tell which of these guys really knows their stuff. The expert to goofball ratio is quite high on this forum, and that's a good thing.

Comment

Well, Hasserl thinks three amps built isn't eough to have a qualified about a vendor, and a crappy one at that. My experience with said vendor (an epic nightmare) isn't enough and I should give them a "second chance."

I'm REALLY fed up with Weber acolytes. If you like him that's fine but you're not the goddam Weber police, charged with excoriating anyone who doesn't worship at that particular altar.

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo View Post
              Uh, I bet you're wrong, and I'm a very good guesser....
              I'd also bet that his amps work.

Everyone has to get started sometime, and I've only been doing this for a little over a year. I've got 4 builds completed without issues. But, it wouldn't have been possible without the extensive knowledge of around a dozen folks on this forum and their willingness to share this knowledge. It must get tiresome for them to answer all of the same stupid questions over and over, when a new inexperienced builder shows up here. Most of them have amazing patience. The only real skill I have is being able to tell which of these guys really knows their stuff. The expert to goofball ratio is quite high on this forum, and that's a good thing.
              Great stuff, keep on building!
              All these dudes think they are the best goofball!
              the fact is they are not..... It's me! ( Southern Hemispherical Goofball)
              Well, maybe not, but have look at this stuff which I have either restored or thrown together.....
              I used to service this type of equipment for a job in the late 1970s and onwards, but only built my first Valve; (sorry I was born in England, )Tube amp about 12 months back.
              There are many more which I have constructed, I am totally addicted to toobe amps!... and I am having
              Fun doing it!
              The real bonus is that I am also meeting incredibly talented musicians!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vjf View Post
                I was following a thread from Scott on your build over at the TGP...very nice work.

I'm curious what others here think about the suggestion by one of the members at the other forum regarding swapping the 5W cathode resistor for 10W.

Here is the post from the other forum:

"Some food for thought, I have been seeing this a lot lately from various builders, but when looking at the amps by those who are really on top of the heap in quality this kind of sticks out.

On the board, the cathode resistor and bypass cap clearances and types. Those caps are rated at 85 degrees Celsius. (85 degree Celsius = 185 degree Fahrenheit) Exposing them by letting them sit against the resistor will shorten the life.
                Those 5W ceramic resistors get way hotter than that in less than 1 hour of operation.

If you look inside any Clark, Victoria, Richter and others the are using a 10W or higher resistor and have 1/2 inch or more airspace between the cap and resistor."
                I would never allow that resistor to touch that or any cap. On my amps I use a 10w resistor floating between terminal strips (I don't use boards at all), and the cathode cap is actually several inches away inside a multi-section cap can.
                Bruce Clement
                BC Audio
                Hand Crafted Performance
                bcaudio.com
                sigpic

Comment

This thread has been very informative... And not just about amps. Good work, tele-cat.

Comment

Just wanted to come back and post a follow up shot of the completed product. It sounds great.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X