Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 x 10 cabinet designs

Hi all,

I've never built a speaker cabinet before, so be kind.

I have 2 Ampeg 8x10 that are just the sweetest sounding cabs I've ever owned, but they are just too big and heavy. I want to down size, but don't want to buy new cabs, I want to build 2x10 cabs using the speakers from the 8x10s

I'm thinking a cabinet design that is stackable and also kick back-able to be used like monitors for bass.

I am willing to pay for the right design. I also have a woodworking shop and the knowledge to do the construction, but not the understanding of speaker cabinet design, which I know is very important.

I'm looking to achieve the same tones as with one 8x10 but with 4 2x10 daisy chained together.

Is this do-able?

Thanks for your time,
    a total newbe,
    Jim

it is doable. there are a couple things to think about.

the original 8x10 used 32ohm speakers all in parrallel. this would mean the 2x10's would be 16ohm if wired in parrallel. depending on what amp you plan on running it with this may or may not be ideal. remember that when you daisy chan cabs its much easier to run them parrallel than series. so if you want 4ohms for the full 4 cabs (8x10) then you want 16ohms per 2x10, which is either 2 8ohms in series, or 2 32ohms in parrallel.

the actual design is plenty doable. how accurate the sound is depends on how close you get the cabinet volume* to the actual volume (really 1/4 the volume for a 2x10). *i am talking volume as in length x width x height, not listening volume. it also depends on the speakers you are using. if you get different speakers they will also sound different and the volume that is used in an ampeg 8x10 may be wrong for those speakers. the volume is calculated using the thele/small parameters that you get from the manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
    X