multiple taps on coil winding??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple taps on coil winding??

I'm new to pickup winding.I have the parts to make my first. I've done weekend research and am happy to have found this site.I'm an electrician, and with an auto transformer there are tap connections in the transformer coil, giving you access to variable voltage outputs.Would the same application apply to a guitar pickup? Lets say during the 6000th wind,pull an inch of coil wire out from the bobbin, roll it in your finger to create a tap then continue winding to 7500,and repeat ect. Would this give easy access to multiple sounds from the same pickup? and by adding a rotary switch would you be able to dial in different tones?

Yes, you can do that. I've done that most often on P-90's and Tele bridges but you can do it on any style of pickup. With experimentation you'll figure out where and when to use it for the best advantage.
    www.tonefordays.com

Comment

Thanks Jon! I havent yet wound my first bobbin, but i think i'll try putting in the taps. I visited your website,I too am a tinkerer. I have the feeling this might turn into an obsession for me.

Comment

A tapped single coil pickup is a fairly common option with most pickup makers. It's an idea that's been around a while and it works very well.

Comment

Working...
        X