Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Reverb Attempt to Clone with ugly distortion

Hi folks!

i've received this amp a long time ago and i rebuild it completely.
    first it had wrong values everything. Coupling caps in the tonestack were wrong

I've replaced all the coupling caps, grid resistor and 1.5 Resistor. The reverb transformer went bad (had internal arcs) so u could see those sparks inside the reverb driver tube. Replaced all the pre-amp tubes.

Which is the symptom?..

It suffers from blocking distortion that means if u go above 4 the amp start to farting on even though u lower the bass (it happens less on the high impedance input on the vibrato channel). Also i can't get rid of the vibrato ticking even though i've installed a cap that filters it.

Changed the cathode bypass caps and the resistors (were wrong).

I redid the whole ground wiring (using ground bus method). this took off a lot of ground noise (almost zero)

The only difference is this amp uses a solid state rectifier and looks more like a blackface twin reverb circuit with the tonestack of a super reverb.

It keeps farting, before i couldn't use the bright control and turn the volume up. I've disconnected the feedback and the amp seem to had more headroom but more noise..(hum but when u have a faulty instrument cable)

gonna mod the schematic and post it here.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by tboy; 11-13-2009, 09:27 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Hearing Is Believing

A fender with ugly distortion? Congratu....oh not the good kind...

Others will know more but if it had a tube recto the B+ may be +20v higher than it should be, check the anode resistors to be sure they are the stock values. A zener (or zener + MOSFET like R.G. mentions) trick could be used to pull the B+ down to stock values.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
      A fender with ugly distortion? Congratu....oh not the good kind...

Others will know more but if it had a tube recto the B+ may be +20v higher than it should be, check the anode resistors to be sure they are the stock values. A zener (or zener + MOSFET like R.G. mentions) trick could be used to pull the B+ down to stock values.
      I'm getting like 425-430 Volts DC on the plates so it's not that issue i guess. This amp is a clone. This was made by a known "amp builder" here. He used to clone amps in the 70's.

So this chassis is made of thick aluminum, a brownish hard board, eyelets and everything. I had to replace the heather wires since it had a very thin one. The ground paths were completely messed up.

The transformers are also handmade so dunno about interleaving and stuff. I'm replacing the 220K resistors that are connected to the bias circuit since they're carbon resistos and are drifting in value (i've measured like 260K instead of 220K).

This is close to a Super Reverb AB763 with a SS rectifier. This Rectifier has 4 diodes instead of 6 like any normal SS rectifier found on most fender's so dunno if this has a impact in the final performance or also the lack of ceramic caps in parallel with the diodes.

anyway i'm re-wiring this , shorting the leads. but the thing that amazes me that the amp sounded better without the feedback connected to the Output transformer. Is this "normal"?

Thanks for your reply mate!
      Last edited by Lee_ranaldo; 11-03-2009, 12:46 AM.
      Hearing Is Believing

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_ranaldo View Post

anyway i'm re-wiring this , shorting the leads. but the thing that amazes me that the amp sounded better without the feedback connected to the Output transformer. Is this "normal"?
        Little seems normal about this amp! A shot in the dark but a backwards OT primary will give positive feedback (PFB) and sound horrid, switching the primaries could then give a real NFB which might sound AOK.

Comment

What?!? An amp that's had all kinds of problems, may yet have more, and it has ugly distortion

Just kidding. Seriously, you can't partially rebuild an amp when you don't know the entire circuit unless you understand enough about electronics to design unique circuits that will work with the rest of the amp. In other words, restoring the PI components to stock Super Reverb (or whatever) values is only a proper fix for a Super Reverb and could cause new problems in an amp that is not a Super Reverb.

I think you should either rebuild the whole thing into one known circuit and layout or turn the amp over to a skilled tech for repair. Otherwise you run the risk of fixing parts of the circuit only to find new problems were created and then fixing those... etc. I've seen guys here chase problems in odd builds and conversions for months only to decide they don't really like the amp. Don't let this happen to you.

IMHO an amp with a bad ground scheme, oscillations, drifted values, incorrect value components and ugly distortion is a good candidate for a new build platform. You can't polish a turd, but you can use for fertilizer to grow something new.

Chuck
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I actually did that..

Rebuilded..

and i'm electronic engineer and also a sound engineer so i guess i could handle this kind of problem :P

i hope
            Hearing Is Believing

Comment

Can you post some pics.

4x1N4007 diodes for the rectifier are fine, Fenders typically did not have caps bypassing the diodes until their very last days.

Comment

Negative feedback cuts noise and oscillation, makes the amp more linear, and also cuts gain. Without it the amp will be gainier and kind of 'looser'; most guitarists like the non-nfb sound better but it does cause problems sometimes.

Guessing, but from all you've said it seems likely that disconnecting the nfb loop has given rise to the problems you describe, by allowing the amp to oscillate when you turn it up. You might experiment with the resistor value in the nfb loop, increasing it as far as you can till the problems start.

I'm not an electronics engineer, but plenty of them bring their amps to me to be fixed. There again, I couldn't design you a switch-mode power supply. Horses for courses.

Comment

Thanks for ur reply mate

the problem is this was built as a twin reverb with the tonestack of a super reverb (AB763) except this differences

"on the twin reverb design there is a 100K and 82K resistors after the Phase Splitter tube." Same as on this amp..

Super reverb AB763 has 2 100K resistor in the same place (i've replaced them).

The other minor difference is the vibrato tube, Twin has a 100K cathode resistor with a 25uf cap, i've replaced it with a 22uf cap and this 100K resistor but found out that the 56K in the super reverb will make this stage have an little bit less gain maybe?. that will cut the annoying thicking on the vibrato that i've already tried to fix with a cap (0,02uf accros the 10M resistor or directly to ground).
                  every cap has been replaced except the filter caps. the resistors also has been replaced mostly the 220K ones found in the 70uf caps and the ones in the bias splitter section.

i'll attach the schematic of the circuit that is close to this amp.

BTW it has Mesa Boogie Tubes.
                  Attached Files
                  Hearing Is Believing

Comment

- suspect you're looking in the wrong place. Try and see if it farts out with the nfb loop back in. The changes to the tone stack etc don't sound like they'd make an awful lot of difference to anything, to me.

Ticking vibrato is a whole nother thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex R View Post
                      - suspect you're looking in the wrong place. Try and see if it farts out with the nfb loop back in. The changes to the tone stack etc don't sound like they'd make an awful lot of difference to anything, to me.

Ticking vibrato is a whole nother thing.
                      it farts with the NFB
                      without it (but has a cleaner sound) = more headroom.

i'm gonna test it when i reach home. since i've been busy with other amps.
                      Hearing Is Believing

Comment

You might try reversing the OT leads on the power tube sockets and reconnecting the NFB loop. The amp should have LESS gain with the loop in place. If there is more gain with the loop in place you must have PFB (positive feedback) and this can make an amp unstable in it's worst (and usual) case.

BTW I didn't mean any disrespect by my last post. I tend to be glib or droll and I didn't know your chops.

Chuck
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Good news

i've fixed almost everything except.

The only channel with problems is the vibrato channel

When i pass till 4 it gets that ugly "broken speaker" distortion
                          but on the normal channel i have no problems

got rid of the ticking on the tremolo section
                          no hum noise on the background
                          performs like a twin reverb.

i've also installed 2000pf 630V film caps from 1,5K resistor to ground as shown in the superreverb AB270 model (helps with ultrasonic oscillations).

anyone has a clue of what's happening here?
                          Hearing Is Believing

Comment

Please post dc voltages for all tubes, please post a pic of the circuit board, pots, tube socket wiring.

With a good layout those 2000pf caps are not necessary, Fender only started using them when they revised layout in the SF days...by '78 they appear to have been employing chimps to wire up their amps.

What's your idle plate current?

Comment

i have the bias voltage set very low for testing purposes.

i've fixed the problem

was a leaky cap... replaced that one with a brand new poly film 0,1 cap
                              and the farting problem on bass frecuencies in the vibrato channel is gone

gonna test the amp a few hours and then remove those 2000pf caps. Before thius the amp had ultrasonic distortion problems.. the sound was cutting off pass 4 on the vibrato channel.

Everything works in order now.

THanks for all your replies mates! i'll post the idle current measurements soon since i'm gonna bias this pair of tired mesa powertubes

all the pre-amp tubes are brand new JJ/TESLAS
                              Hearing Is Believing

Comment

Working...
                              X