"power scaling" or attenuator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "power scaling" or attenuator

Some brand use "power scaling " to obtain smaller volume sound , some use embbeded attenuator, in fact " power scaling" reduce the volume by adjuster the Voltage of transform and tube, It seems effect style.But attenuator cause very warm during it wast the power. which one is better

Well, the attenuator has the benefit of allowing the power tubes to run at full plate voltage, which I think keeps the amp from sounding too dark. Most other power scaling circuits drop the plate voltage to keep the plate current in check, helps extend tube life, but I think it colors the tone too much. Which one being better, is going to end up being up to the player.

-g

Comment

"Which one being better, is going to end up being up to the player."

I agree that the answer to this is subjective, which is better depends on the player's personal biases. Not all attenuators, nor all "power scaling" circuits, are designed or built the same way. Different designs offer different performances, and again, which is better is subjective, the answer depending on individual players perspectives and biases.

I don't believe there is a universal true answer to the question, only individual preferences.

Comment

I guess the real question you should be asking is which one of these technologies should you also steal for your Chinese amp company.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

I see their R&D dept is hard at work again (to quote from the mangled english on their home page) "We insist on combining creative western engineer's design"
          Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Go down to the demo shop of your company, take an amp, and run the speaker output into the amps input. Then turn all the controls to ten.

That should cut down on the amps output power successfully.
            Stop by my web page!

Comment

"certisfaction" isn't in my dictionary- is it a British version of "certification?"

Much of this industry is about doing things that have already been done. It's just a shame my country can't compete on all levels. Take from that what you will.

jamie

Comment

Originally posted by kldguitar View Post
                Some brand use "power scaling " to obtain smaller volume sound , some use embbeded attenuator, in fact " power scaling" reduce the volume by adjuster the Voltage of transform and tube, It seems effect style.But attenuator cause very warm during it wast the power. which one is better
                Which one is better ? Mine is...

-g

Comment

I'm gonna go with Bruce's answer. In fact, when I first read this post (then noticed who it was from) I passed it up. Like I never have an opinoin

Chuck
                  "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                  You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                    I'm gonna go with Bruce's answer. In fact, when I first read this post (then noticed who it was from) I passed it up. Like I never have an opinoin

Chuck
                    I wasn't aware there was an issue. Interesting.

Comment

Working...
                    X