Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Device to Test Transistor Leakage

I've been eying this puppy on E-bay...

Transistor Semiconductor DC Parameter Tester Meter 294 - eBay (item 320359098594 end time Nov-07-09 04:41:32 PST)

I'm teaching myseld about electronics, and im looking for a basic device to test transistor leakage. I know there is plans outthere to build a small circuit on strip board, but it seems horribly inaccurate. This unit has a nice digatal readout and looks like it would work for measuring gain, but I dont understand the speaks enough to know if it will give me the leakage number. I'll be measuing mostly OC44, OC75, OC76, OC81D, AC128, and AC188.

bel

Gernamium transistor leakage

Well. the price looks not too bad.
    I can certainly see where you would need a leakage tester on those germanium transistors.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
      I know there is plans outthere to build a small circuit on strip board, but it seems horribly inaccurate.
      Hmmm... what *exactly* seems horribly inaccurate about it?

This unit has a nice digatal readout and looks like it would work for measuring gain, but I dont understand the speaks enough to know if it will give me the leakage number. I'll be measuing mostly OC44, OC75, OC76, OC81D, AC128, and AC188.
      That's a good question - I read it and although I'm a kinda-native-speaker of US English, I couldn't tell whether it would give a straightforward leakage number either.

So I guess the issue is whether the device you are thinking about buying is worth $50 or so against the essentially zero cost of the small circuit.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

RG's circuit works fine. I was using it to test some germanium transistors the other day.

The only transistor tester I've had experience with is the Peak Atlas. Atlas/Peak DCA55 Semiconductor Analyser
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Leakage tester

Here is a link with a schematic & an explanation of what the circuit does.
          http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/ffselect.htm
          A lot cheaper than $50.00.
          Hope this helps.
          John G

Comment

Thanks for the info so far guys.

I also came across this device, which actually looks better..

Peak Electronic Design Limited - Atlas DCA - Semiconductor Analyser - Model DCA55

It's a little more money 54 pounds, but it does say that it measures leakage, as well as tell you whether its NPN or PNP, as well as identify silicon and germanium. This seems like it would work really well in a production envrioment where you're dealing with dummys! :>

bel.

EDIT
            OOPS! Missed the link in the previous post, sorry!

Comment

This seems like it would work really well in a production envrioment where you're dealing with dummys!
              Ah. "Production environment". You want to go into business selling something with germanium transistors in it; likely effects.

And another flower blooms.
              Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

Well i've never made pedals, but I am a second generation pickup winder and guitar maker.

I saw this crazy ass tonebender clone from DAM on e-bay for 2500 bucks and I was like "phhfft I can do that!" So I'm going to try my hand at it. I'll probably never do anything with it, but you never know.. I've been teaching myself electronics and I figure i could build up a collection of gear.. first got a scope, then a function generator, LCR meter, Gauss meter, etc.. So this is just another cool tool. Next is a good accurate DC power supply.

Im also working on a 3-band parametric EQ preamp for basses... but that will take ALOT more learning.

bel.

Comment

I've been eying this puppy on E-bay...

Transistor Semiconductor DC Parameter Tester Meter 294 - eBay (item 320359098594 end time Nov-07-09 04:41:32 PST)

I'm teaching myseld about electronics, and im looking for a basic device to test transistor leakage. I know there is plans outthere to build a small circuit on strip board, but it seems horribly inaccurate. This unit has a nice digatal readout and looks like it would work for measuring gain, but I dont understand the speaks enough to know if it will give me the leakage number. I'll be measuing mostly OC44, OC75, OC76, OC81D, AC128, and AC188.

bel
                  Nice, I also came across this device, which actually looks better..
                  Singapore Flextronics / Electronics Manufacturing Service
                  [url]http://www.flextronics.com.sg[/url]

Comment

Holy Crap.

The peak arrived this work and it works like a HOT DAMN. the thing is idiot prood. Two buttons.

You can hook any of the three wires to any of the three leads on a trannie and just press the button. 4 seconds later you have a readout that you scroll through.. It tells you the hfe and leakage in ma. Also it tells you if its PNP or NPN, as well as which lead is which.

I measured about 30 different GE trannies and it measured everything perfectly.

I cant recommend it enough.

Comment

Originally posted by R.G. View Post
                      Ah. "Production environment". You want to go into business selling something with germanium transistors in it; likely effects.

And another flower blooms.
                      Speaking of flowers I just read that what is commonly called a germanium in your garden is in fact usually a pelargonium.

Steve Ahola
                      Last edited by Steve A.; 11-15-2009, 05:41 AM. Reason: Just kidding. Yes I know that the flower is the geranium (with just one "m")
                      The Blue Guitar
                      www.blueguitar.org
                      Some recordings:
                      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

They have an interesting ESR meter, too. Are you in the US?
                        ST in Phoenix

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                          Speaking of flowers I just read that what is commonly called a germanium in your garden is in fact usually a pelargonium.

Steve Ahola
                          Silicon ain't always what it seems either.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex R View Post
                            Silicon ain't always what it seems either.
                            How true! I once dated a woman who said she had silicon implants- they felt just like sandbags!
                            The Blue Guitar
                            www.blueguitar.org
                            Some recordings:
                            https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
                            X