Single Ended SLO project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Ended SLO project

I have recently built the Slo lead channel into a SE KT88 power section, "my little metal amp". I really like it but I need help with bass response. I want to add some NFB and I was wondering if any more experienced builders have any ideas. I was just hooking the cathode resistor to the 8ohm tap but I dont hear any difference. I have been looking at the Fender champ schematics and they run a 27k from the cathode of the 12ax7 to the OT. Any good ideas would be appreciated.

If the preamp tube's cathode, to which you are appying the NFB, is bypassed by a capacitor, you are also bypassing the NFB voltage to ground too!
    Remove the cathode bypass cap and try again, but for an 8 ohm OT, use a 47K to 56K resistor from the OT.
    If you like the way that is working, try holding the preamp stage's cathode biasing resistor up from ground by about 47 to 100ohms.
    No you can bypass the biasing resistor again only still hold the cap and resisitor up from ground by the 100 ohm resistor and and insert the NFB
    inbetween the 1500 ohm resistor and the 47-100 ohm one... now use something like 2700 ohms to 4700 ohms from the OT.
    OK that was a mouthful.... look at the way the NFB is used in a blackface Champ or Princeton is wired.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

Bruce,
      I have done exactly what you are describing. I have added 47ohms to the cathode cap-resistor to ground and then my feedback resistor is 2700ohms to the 8ohm tap of the OT, voltage divider per say. I have the feedback resistor on a switch so I can go back and forth to see the difference. The only thing is I dont hear a difference. The cathode I use for the NFB injection is the 4th stage. Does it matter what stage I use and would a higher feedback resistor give me more fb?

Comment

Chunk,

Are you trying to build a "resonance" circuit? Have you thought about changing some of the values of the cathode bypass caps in the preamp to enhance the bass response?

How are those KT88s treating you? I am thinking of building a poweramp for my preamp using them. How many watts is she dissipating?

~F
        ~F
        "Ruining good moments since 1975"

Comment

I tried different values of caps and cathode resistors for more bass but it just doesnt sound as good. I know that the feedback loop is just what I need from previous projects but I am getting no results. I have the feedback resistor on a switch to see if there is a difference but nothing happens.
          As far as the single KT88, I am very pleased. I like EL34's but the KT88 is loud and proud!

Comment

Have you seen any of Peavey's resonance circuits?

Man, I am interested in those KT88s. I wonder if they have a more pronounced low end than 6L6s.

~F
            ~F

Comment

Does Peavey have any SingleEnded amps? And if so where is there a schematic?

Comment

Blast! I didn't notice the SE part of your post

I only slept 2 hours last night if that is an excuse! I know you want to stay "all amp", but a nice solid state eq inserted after the preamp just might be the ticket.

~F
                ~F

Comment

Still no FB!!! I did just as Bruce said which is exactly how the early fender champs were built and I get no change. I even lifted the KT88's cathode resistor and went directly to the 4ohm tap and still no change. Help!

Comment

Just a shot in the dark but did you ground your OT secondary?

Comment

If everything is referenced to chassis ground, something must be wired wrong then because this works on every amp I've done it to.
                      Is there anywhere I can look at the schematic to see how this is laid out?
                      Bruce

Mission Amps
                      Denver, CO. 80022
                      www.missionamps.com
                      303-955-2412

Comment

I had another thought...
                        are you using one of the triodes of the push pull phase inverter after the tone stack to drive the SE power tube?
                        Bruce

Mission Amps
                        Denver, CO. 80022
                        www.missionamps.com
                        303-955-2412

Comment

The OT secondary is grounded.
                          Bruce here is the link to the schematic I used:
                          http://www.schematicheaven.com/newam...ano_slo100.pdf
                          Page 1 only
                          I am using V1b, V2a, V2b, V3b, V3a-minus the R24, into the tone stack(no fx) then MV
                          After the MV I was using a power amp from ax84's SEL:
                          http://ax84.com/static/corepoweramps..._Schematic.pdf
                          The OT is a Hammond 125FSE Pri-Blue-#3 pin on KT88 Brown-B+2
                          Thanks for any help, I am miffed!!

Comment

OK in that schematic, where are you inserting the NFB?
                            Does the cathode follower (which is connected to the FCX loop in the schematic) drive your tone stack and then the MV pot's output directly into the grid of the power tube?
                            Bruce

Mission Amps
                            Denver, CO. 80022
                            www.missionamps.com
                            303-955-2412

Comment

That is correct. The cathode follower drives the tone stack (no fx) then goes into the MV which then goes to the 5.6k then into the power tube.
                              Where I was injecting the NFB was into the cathode of the last gain stage before the CF. After the 1.8k/1uf I have a 50ohm resistor like you previously said going to ground. The feedback resistor is then at that junction of the Rk/Ck and 50ohm and goes to the 8ohm tap.

Comment

Working...
                              X