Smoking amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking amp

A friend at one of my dealer accounts emailed to tell me they were bringing over an amp. The Fender Bassman combo started smoking on the showroom floor. Problem is, they don't allow smoking in the store.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Hmm, so selling these are out of the question too?...
    Smokey Amp Zinky Electronics
    -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by defaced View Post
      Hmm, so selling these are out of the question too?...
      Smokey Amp Zinky Electronics
      Years ago, I took one of those & transplanted it into a cell phone car kit's speaker. I wanted more bottom end. It even has a tilt back stand.

I tried it tonight & it still works. Sounds better than the Dano mini amp I sold off.
      Attached Files
      ST in Phoenix

Comment

And it supposedly will drive a 4 X 12 cab. I don't have one of those, but it will drive a single 12 enough to annoy people & animals in your household.

I don't know why tube amp guys are always talking about the great dynamics of being able to back off the volume on the guitar to clean up the sound. My little Smokey does that.

{Runs and hides.}
        ST in Phoenix

Comment

They will drive a 4x12, not loudly but they will. The Camel carton it came in is long gone, but somewhere in my many boxes of packed away stuff (college will do that to ya), is the circuit. I'd like to rehouse it and bring it back into my arsenal. I bet I could get some really cool sounds out of it if I built a mini speaker isolation box for it. Show up to a gig with something the size of a lunch box.
          -Mike

Comment

Well now, we have a controversy. I just checked their web site and they DO sell the SMokey. Although it appeared to be the plain plastic amp, not one in a butt pack. I will have to write back to Mike.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

IIRC, they had to go to the plastic pack because they couldn't get enough real cigarette packs. I think people would send him their empties.
              ST in Phoenix

Comment

So what IC is in the Smokey a LM386?

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                  A friend at one of my dealer accounts emailed to tell me they were bringing over an amp. The Fender Bassman combo started smoking on the showroom floor. Problem is, they don't allow smoking in the store.
                  Smoking is a bad habit. Here's a Hammond A-105 that's fallen prey to it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr9KEtLd2aI"]YouTube- Hammond organ on fire[/ame]

Comment

A new Bassman smoking? That must be poor QA at Fender(Unknown Mfg country)

Yep, that little 2" speaker amp is an LM386. The schematic is right off of the National Semiconductor data sheet.
                    Now Trending: China has found a way to turn stupidity into money!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodesplyr View Post
                      Smoking is a bad habit. Here's a Hammond A-105 that's fallen prey to it:

YouTube- Hammond organ on fire
                      "and he'll burn up your traxz"

Werd.
                      ST in Phoenix

Comment

Working...
                      X