Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Output jack problem

Hello,

First post here. I tried searching but could'nt find anything, sorry if i missed it.

I've got a problem with the output jack on my BC Rich KKV '08.

There is sound coming from it until it's all the way in, then there's no sound.
    Nothing wrong with my equipment as i've tried another guitar, and that works fine.

I've tried soldering 3 times now, stripping the wires so that it's "fresh". Also cleaning the output jack etc.

Can this be fixed with a new output jack, or is it something deeper in my guitar that's gone wrong?

New output jack should do it.

Is it one of these?
    Flush-mount Output Jack at Stewart-MacDonald

They seem to break down pretty quick compared to ordinary jacks.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Not the one in the picture. It looks like a standard stereo output jack.

Like this:
      Jack Socket stereo SJ3 - gitarhuset.no

Hopefully a new one will fix it. (crosses fingers and toes)

Comment

Oh, well those can still break, I suppose. Try to get a Switchcraft one, they're a bit higher quality. Or you can try to fix your existing one, bend the springy tip contact inwards so it presses on the plug tip harder.

If you don't understand what I mean, insert the plug while the jack is dismantled off the guitar, and you'll see how the mechanism works.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          If you don't understand what I mean, insert the plug while the jack is dismantled off the guitar, and you'll see how the mechanism works.
          +1 there Steve. I've had brand new guitars through my hands where a quick slight bend with a pair of fine pliers has made the jack plug "snap" into place.

Comment

Tried that too.

Anyway, the place i bought the guitar from ("Thomann", in Europe)
            believed it was a faulty output jack aswell. So they're sending me a pre soldered one for free

I'll update when it arrives

Comment

Hi. Sounds like your jack is grounding out on shielding paint. Does it work when the jack is unmounted and pulled out of the cavity? If so, there's your prob. Good luck!
              Last edited by Plucky; 11-25-2009, 06:54 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I have recently changed out a couple of open frame mono outputs jacks on 2 Squires. They had tried to make the connections tighter by bending the tabs closer and cleaning, worked for a while but problems returned. Once I installed the new jacks they worked fine. They said that the plugs had a much better, tighter fit as well.

Comment

Working...
                X