farty bass problem, Bassman 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• farty bass problem, Bassman 10

Okay, bear with me here. I have this old silverface Bassman 10 that I thought was working pretty well, until I started actually playing bass through it at more than low volume. With volume at 5 or more and bass at 10, everything below the open A string farted out badly. After checking the routine things and finding nothing wrong, I start thinking maybe this is normal behavior for this amp.

So I decided to "upgrade" the 6L6 tubes to 6550s, along with additional filament transformer and boosted filter caps (a la Gerald Weber's book). This didn't help. (And yes, I biased the 6550s to run at about 65 ma each with no signal.)

I have eliminated as culprit every single component, including the output transformer, speakers, and power supply components, by substitution.

I have found two ways of improving matters: 1) cathode biasing the output tubes with no bypass cap, and 2) putting a very large (25k) resistor between the power supply and the two 470 ohm screen grid resistors on the 6550s to bring the screen voltage down by 100V or so. Trouble is, it seems like these things are addressing the symptoms rather than the cause. I mean, I wonder if I'm just reducing the gain.

There are amps that work properly with 6550 screen voltages close to plate voltage, right? I mean, even though data sheets say that screen voltage should be in the neighborhood of 300V?

This thing is driving me nuts. I'd appreciate any suggestions. My kingdom for an oscilloscope!
    Last edited by otto pärt; 11-24-2009, 01:26 AM.

Hi Otto,
    I would say you're facing a bad case of blocking distortion, and yes, one of the most common ways of reducing it is reducing or eliminating the cathode bypass cap....Get an o-scope and try to identify the stage in which the blocking distortion is originated.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Bob
    Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

6550s in that amp won't even wake up. Get it working right with the correct tubes.
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Bassman 10

Does it matter which input you go into?
        I kind of recall Left/Normal, right/ Studio.
        Do you have the "deep" switch engaged?
        Why are you "diming" the bass control?
        Ten to one the amp is clipping.
        One way to defart a Fender is to lower the value of the cathode bypass cap on the first stage tube.

Comment

And lower the value of the PI coupling caps into the power stage.....
          The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Looks like the magic word is "blocking." I replaced the 0.1 coupling caps with .022's, and that helped a lot. Also jacked up the grid stopper resistors to 10k and lowered the grid leak resistors to 47k in the output stage, and I doubled the feedback resistor. It's working pretty well now, probably close to the best I can do without a scope.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi Otto,
              glad you sorted it out, and glad we've been able to point you in the right direction!
              Enjoy your amp!
              Cheers
              Bob
              Hoc unum scio: me nihil scire.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
                6550s in that amp won't even wake up. Get it working right with the correct tubes.
                Turns out that after all this work I can't use the 6550s in this amplifier after all. When I put the chassis back in the cabinet I discovered that the 6550s are too tall! D'OH!

Oh well, at least I learned a lot.

Comment

Working...
                X