Unexperienced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexperienced

Folks it has been several years since I have had the time to get back to my electronic hobby. Boy has Ampage changed. I must say it is a lot more eye appealing from a professional stand point. (but I still like the classic homepage better, I just love those tubes in the background) Anyway excellent job Tboy,it looks fantastic. My first dumb question is this. I am trying to find a transistor. If things have not changed since I last tried this then it should be a 2sa1281. I checked at Mouser and the search got me a big 0. The number on the part is A1281. Does the old rule still apply and the first part numbers are 2s? Since there is no ECG anymore can someone get me up to speed on a substitution part vendor? Sorry to start out as a novice again but hopefully just like a bicycle I will get up to amatuer speed quickly. Thankyou for your help and patience. DB

There may be some help here
    http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=A1281

This search result shows a few hits on the Mouser site.
    There is also a link to a data sheet at http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/KS/KSA1281.pdf

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

Hello Blastart.
      maybe you'll find the transistor short data useful in case you don't have it:

2sa1281 is: PNP, 180V, 0,1A, 0,9W

"Direct" replacements or equivalents would be: BF 436, BF 423A, 2SA1370
      according to my data these would work also: BF 437, 2SA1024, 2SA1251
      but please double check just in case.

It is a pnp type, sorry!
      Last edited by JC@; 01-06-2007, 11:19 AM. Reason: error typing

Comment

That's very different from the one's I found.
        Double check just in case for sure.

Comment

These guys show as having the 2SA1281, and apparently have no minimum order:

http://www.slelectronics.net/2SA_2SB...6362792fb86dda

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys it never occured to me to just search the numbers on the part and not add the prefix. Once again I find that you folks at ampage are right on the ball. I appreciate the help. I will try and get a direct replacement. The data sheet for the ksa1281 seems to be the one I'm looking for. Have a great day. DB

Comment

ECG might be gone, but the same number system is used by NTE and others. But I am no fan of any of the replacement lines.

Mouser carries NTE and the (often wrong) crosses will come up if the original is listed in the NTE book. I buy most asian number xstrs from MCM. I tend not to get counterfeits from them and their selection is large.

www.mcminone.com

Actually you are still better off googling the whole part number. But within a company like Mouser, you will get auto-crossing.

Small xstrs can be subbed very easily, but keep in mind that the pinout will differe between US numbers (2Nxxxx) and Japanese numbers (2SAxxxx) and EUro numbers (BCxxx).
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks Enzo, I would rather use a direct replacement. I will bookmark these sources for future use. Thanks also for the heads up on the subs. It kind of makes sense. The original is usually the best part for the job. Have a great day; DB

Comment

Sounds like you might have missed my point. The ECG/NTE/etc are NOT direct replacements, they are generally just something close.

COmpanies like MCM who sell parts to the consumer electronics trace will usually have the EXACT part you need. That is far superior to any replacement type. Unfortunately MCM doesn't stock this one, but the source MArk quoted seems handy.

You didn't tell us what the amp was, there may be a preferred replacement.

So if you need 2SA1281
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

i'm back after a bit of an absense as well. the one problem i'm having in adapting to the new board is that i haven't figured out how to follow-up on the threads i've previously posted to. is there a "view your posts" button somewhere, or do i have to manually subscribe/de-subscribe to everythread that i post to? tia.
                    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Click on “User CP” in the top bar. That will open your user profile if you are logged in. Then you can click the “List Subscriptions” button.

Another thing you can do is left click your name in any post to drop down a menu that includes “List all posts by NAME”

There are more features too. A little clicking around will find them after you get started with the above.

Tom

Comment

Try this tool: In the index to each forum where the thread titles are listed, at teh left end of each title there is a little "V" box, though to me it looks like a check mark.

In any case, if you click on that little box, it takes you to the furst unread post in that thread. The software keeps track of which posts you have opened each visit.

I like it. Each day I look at the thread lists. If the title is BOLD print, that means there are unreasd posts to it since my last visit, and when I click the litttle V box, it takes me right to where I left off yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                        X