I want to know,how to remove the Epoxy resin of EMG pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to know,how to remove the Epoxy resin of EMG pickups

And where i can buy the preamp in active pickups or can i make it by my self ?

Thank you

Why do you want to remove the epoxy?

There is no way to do it without destroying the pickup.

EMG sells preamps, but it's not exactly the same as what's in the pickup.

You can also try something like this:

Neovin Active Preamp/EQ

General Guitar Gadgets - Buffer - IC RTS PCB

General Guitar Gadgets - Stratoblaster Booster RTS PCB
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Hi,

thank you , David

My Emg pickups not work, I want repair

Comment

I'm not sure but I read that EMG has a repair service:
        HOURS:Monday - Friday 9AM-5PM Pacific time.
        EMAIL: support@emgpickups.com
        PHONE: 707.525.9941
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by realtonecustompickup View Post
          Hi,

thank you , David

My Emg pickups not work, I want repair
          You can't repair them. They will replace them, even if you are not the original owner.

Just contact them about returning the pickups.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Maybe he was inspired by this?
            http://music-electronics-forum.com/t16275/

Some epoxies start to crumble like an old eraser when you heat them up a bit. Usually 150º F is enough to be able to pic apart what's there.
            other epoxies will just get harder up to 350ºF, by that time the cover is certainly toast or a blob.
            I like the milling machine approach myself.

Comment

Yeah, but he wants to repair the pickup. In that interview with Rob Turner, he said they would replace any defective pickup sent to them.

The only thing you can salvage from an EMG is the bobbin, which seems to be made from nylon.

Comment

Would anyone happen to know the specs on coil windings for the EMG 81 or 60? I sent some ideas to R&D at EMG, but they have a full plate, so I thought I might start producing a few of these designs myself and present them to the R&D all mocked up. I'm about to write them again and ask if I can purchase the pickups without the plastic cover, so I can try my own retro cosmetic. I personally feel that the new JH set is ok, but they could have gone more retro with it. I have one design in passive form, a souped-up SD SH-55: Facebook

Anyway, if anyone has any feedback, I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by TGBoleyn View Post
                  Would anyone happen to know the specs on coil windings for the EMG 81 or 60? I sent some ideas to R&D at EMG, but they have a full plate, so I thought I might start producing a few of these designs myself and present them to the R&D all mocked up. I'm about to write them again and ask if I can purchase the pickups without the plastic cover, so I can try my own retro cosmetic. I personally feel that the new JH set is ok, but they could have gone more retro with it. I have one design in passive form, a souped-up SD SH-55: Facebook

You can buy these to make your prototypes:

Mojotone Plastic Humbucker Pickup Cover Black

HTH,
                  Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy

Comment

No, that's actually going in the opposite direction than I wanted. I want to 86 the plastic and bring back a more organic and retro look as per the pic link I posted. I just need the guts without the plastic cover, so I can fit my own cosmetic to it.

Thanks though!

Comment

organic and retro look as per the pic link I posted.
                      You can't see the picture if you're not in facebook. I'm not and I'll never will be.

However, you can buy everything you need to wind a p'up in that site.

HTH,
                      Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                      Milano, Italy

Comment

They are wound pretty much like a regular high impedance pickup. The 81 is wound with 43 AWG wire. The notes I have say about 5500-6000 turns on each coil.

The thing is you can't get the coils without the covers because they won't be supported by anything. They also are not retro looking.

The only uncovered EMGs will you get is the SRO HZ series. Having no cover would mean having no shielding, and they won't do that for active pickups.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EMG_81_006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	821219 Click image for larger version

Name:	EMG_81_018.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	463.1 KB
ID:	821218

Also, how would a pickup be more "organic" looking? Is it made from tree bark? Black plastic bobbins are as organic as a black plastic cover.

Their stainless steel covers look nice and kind of retro. Why does every pickup have to look like Gibson's designed from 50 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                          You can't see the picture if you're not in facebook. I'm not and I'll never will be.

However, you can buy everything you need to wind a p'up in that site.

HTH,
                          I'm on FaceBook and I don't see any picture anywhere in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            Why does every pickup have to look like Gibson's designed from 50 years ago?
                            BECAUSE!!! ...now eat your vegetables!

I'm pretty sure that it isn't going to help the OP, but TGBoleyn might be interested: Seymour Duncan is now offering the "Blackout" pre-amp separate from the pickups and is also offering a traditional looking humbucker that will plug right into the pre-amp and provide the same tone as the original Blackout, which was Duncan's take on a reverse engineered EMG.

The Blackouts Modular Preamp

Comment

Working...
                            X