• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Tone Ethos TLE pedal: a short review

In two words: WOW!

Here is the site:

Ethos Overdrive Guitar Pedal

Is this just another overdrive pedal that sells for $400? The opinion of many people is that it is a Dumble ODS in a floor pedal.

It is really a two channel guitar preamp, with an OD channel to die for. But the Clean channel is really nice, too, as it creates some of the nicest clean tones I have ever heard- with plenty of sparkle. It also seems to break up just like a Blackface Fender (something I never noticed in my own D-Clones).

One advantage over the real ODS is that you can adjust the gain and tone of the OD channel independently of the Clean Channel. And it has a presence control on both channels and a global Hi-Cut control.

One of the coolest features is the Speaker Simulation Output. I have had these outputs on several pedals and multi-processors but they always sounded like sh*t; you would never want to run that output into a PA or mixing board unless you absolutely had to. I have a friend who has run the Spkr Sim output into both, and has gotten incredible tones. One special bonus is that the Spkr Sim Out also works when the pedal is bypassed, so whatever signal you are inputting into the Ethos (straight guitar or with pedals) will output a high quality DI signal.

BTW the Skpr Sim circuit was not just a quick afterthought. Rather than have it sound just like a "speaker" he was aiming at a freq curve similar in part to the EV12L that is often paired with an ODS (I forget the other one but the designer had posted this information on The Gear Page).

The Hi-Cut works just like the one on an AC-30; it is at the end of the signal chain so it allows some final tweaking before the signal goes to the guitar amp (or spkr sim out). There is one more switch which activates the Guitar Amp Compensation circuitry. This has nothing to do with the Spkr Sim Out but will tailor the sound for plugging into an amp with a typical Fender or Marshall tone stack. You would normally leave it on unless you were plugging into something like a guitar power amp.

Here is a link to the recent review in Guitar Player as well as other reviews and testimonials:

Ethos Overdrive Reviews

Yes, $400 sounds like a lot for "just another pedal" but when I add up the wannabe ODS pedals that I have bought over the past few years I probably could have bought two of these.

And for people seriously thinking of building a D-Clone this box will deliver the goods even plugged into something like a Red Knob Twin. Build whatever amp you like with a decent clean channel and this amp will take you there.

Yikes- I forgot to mention that both channels have their own Bright, Modern/Classic (tone stack), and Rock/Jazz toggle switches. Plus there is a Dumble-like Pre Amp Boost on the OD channel.

The Clean Channel takes other pedals really well; my friend likes to plug his Zen Drive into the Clean Channel for the ultimate Dumblish overdrive.

Well, I better sign off- I never shill for anybody but if there is a product that really impresses me I will tell the whole world!

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Stop it, you're giving me GAS!

(Gear Acquisition Syndrome)
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

A friend loaned me one of those for a week or so. I was really impressed with it. My only problem was, having so many options, I found it a little difficult to tweak on the fly in a live situation. The controls and switches are very interactive, but OMG, what a great recording tool! I'd like to try it again through a JC120 or something with a lot of headroom and a flat EQ. Plugging it into your typical guitar amp (in my case, a Deluxe) just adds another layer of complexity.

Comment

Working...
      X