Isolation Transformer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isolation Transformer help

I have a old Kent Tremtone I want to instal a isolation transformer in. I got the Triad N-68X (mouser part# 553-N68X) from Mouser to use for this. The data sheet for it is here.

I've not worked with one of these before. I pretty much understand the input side, but not the output side. The white wire is listed as "shield", and then there are two red wires. Is the white ground? Do I just use one of the red wires for power, or?

Here's the schematic for the Tremtone.

Originally posted by lowbrow View Post
    The white wire is listed as "shield", and then there are two red wires. Is the white ground? Do I just use one of the red wires for power, or?
    The white wire is an internal shield and should be grounded to the chassis.

The two red wires are the secondary and should connect to the points where the two original 117 vac wires connected to.

The primary wires need to be hooked up for either 120 (parallel) or 240 (series) ac input, depending upon what is available where you are located.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
      The white wire is an internal shield and should be grounded to the chassis.

The two red wires are the secondary and should connect to the points where the two original 117 vac wires connected to.

The primary wires need to be hooked up for either 120 (parallel) or 240 (series) ac input, depending upon what is available where you are located.
      Thanks for the reply! So, basically one of the red wires functions as the original negative lead and the other as the original positive lead? Is there a way to check polarity?

Comment

Originally posted by lowbrow View Post
        Thanks for the reply! So, basically one of the red wires functions as the original negative lead and the other as the original positive lead? Is there a way to check polarity?
        You are working with ac voltages, there are no positive and negative leads. Do you understand how to hook this up?

You are working with the ac voltage wiring here, not something that you want to screw up with.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
          You are working with ac voltages, there are no positive and negative leads. Do you understand how to hook this up?

You are working with the ac voltage wiring here, not something that you want to screw up with.
          Geez...you are absolutely correct. I'm functioning with a damn cold today and I can't seem to do anything correctly. Thanks for beating some sense into my head...I think I'll put off hooking it up until I feel a bit better.

Comment

Working...
          X