Gibson Staple top pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Staple top pickups

Does anybody have any specs or patent # on the subject pickup? I want to try something similar and am just looking for the basic construction.
    www.chevalierpickups.com

I don't think there was a patent. That was a Seth Lover design.

Here's a photo that might help.
    Attached Files
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      I don't think there was a patent. That was a Seth Lover design.

Here's a photo that might help.
      Very nice. Looks trickier than I thought. Machining is one thing, but I may start with a flatpole or just stagger with no adjustment. Cutting the magnets will be fun I know there was a thread about that a year or so ago...
      www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
        Very nice. Looks trickier than I thought. Machining is one thing, but I may start with a flatpole or just stagger with no adjustment. Cutting the magnets will be fun I know there was a thread about that a year or so ago...
        Alnico is a form of alloy steel. Cut with an aluminum oxide and/or zirconium oxide cutoff wheel. Diamond and silicon carbide wheels will not work, and will be ruined in the process.

Comment

Actually diamond wheels do work, you have to use water in cutting though. A lapidary trim saw works fine, I bought a tile saw with diamond blade which works well but there is no good way to solidly hold the magnet while cutting. Cutting them with anything is slow and tedious, but good for prototype work, then order the magnet sizes you need.
          http://www.SDpickups.com
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
            Actually diamond wheels do work, you have to use water in cutting though. A lapidary trim saw works fine, I bought a tile saw with diamond blade which works well but there is no good way to solidly hold the magnet while cutting. Cutting them with anything is slow and tedious, but good for prototype work, then order the magnet sizes you need.
            So long as the diamond blade runs real slow, OK. But cutoff saws don't usually run slow.

Comment

These pickups have sort of Strat tone to them but fatter. I also think you get a little bit phase thing going on with the adjustment screws. The screws have an opposite magnetic polarity than the rectangular poles since the screws are threaded into the other end of the pole magnet. It would be interesting to see if taking the adjustment screws away changes the tone and character of the pickup much.

What's up with the black baseplate? Is it painted? Or is it an oxidized pure nickel plating? I have some 50's P-90's baseplates that look almost like oxidized Zinc plating and another that has a darkened nearly black plating but not completely black like that.
              They don't make them like they used to... We do.
              www.throbak.com
              Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

The fatter tone is natural since the poles are long and sensing more string that strat poles. I wonder what that metal is too, what metal oxidizes like that. Are the 50's baseplates brass with zinc plating or some other metal? I have a vintage staple bobbin an Ebay seller included in the package as a freebie, I flipped out when I saw that, its just so much junk to anyone else....
                http://www.SDpickups.com
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Duncan makes'em... both the original Staple or a HB-casing version call the Phat Staple. They're are Custom order p'ups.

I've never seen p'ups as gorgeous as those... specially in the neck spot on an Ebony Gibson Les Paul Custom!
                  Last edited by LtKojak; 12-03-2009, 07:52 PM.
                  Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                  Milano, Italy

Comment

I'm going after a soap bar P-90 design. Think I'm going to have to make my own bobbins though..
                    www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Working...
                    X