Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me Mod Retro sonic chorus to have depth and speed knobs fo the chorus please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me Mod Retro sonic chorus to have depth and speed knobs fo the chorus please!

I know the Original CE-1 had the same controls....But I sure wish the vibrato was capable of going slower, and there were depth and speed controls for the chorus side. Is there hope? Or is it time to take it off my pedalboard?
    It sounds so good, (but too much of a good thing.) even a mix knob would be great....My kingdom for a mix knob!!!!!!

a) I don't know where you're going to find room.
    b) The Retrosonic has all the same controls as the original CE-1, so I'm not sure where you get the idea that there are other controls to add.
    c) The stock CE-1 uses two different LFO topologies to produce the sweep pattern for vibrato (sinusoidal) and chorus (triangle), but both LFOs come out the same op-amp. It selects the LFO from the wiper of a pot for vibrato, and from the input lug of that same pot for chorus. The chorus depth is fixed, but the vibrato depth is adjustable. Consequently, if a person wished to have variable chorus depth, then the simple fix is to wire up the half of the Retrosonic stompswitch that selects between vibrato and chorus such that it always selects the input lug of the 50k Depth control. Note that this would require you to adjust the depth to taste when switching from chorus to vibrato or vice versa.
    d) Slow vibrato is generally imperceptible vibrato. In general, whichever way you produce vibrato, it has to modulate fast enough to be audible/detectable. I doubt you can slow it down any further than Boss did in a productive manner.

Comment

O.k. Thanks for all that great info!!!!,

So....I jumper-ed that spot on the switch, but DEFINITELY preferred full depth.
      With the jumper in place only about 80% (?) of the stock depth was available so I didn't solder it in, I preferred it cranked for sure. I'll chalk that up to live and learn.

I't seems to me the vibrato could still go a lot slower and still be percievable ...... Especially with the depth cranked (which is how I prefer It)

Currently I crank the depth, and roll back the speed, The slowest my vibrato goes on this thing is a pulse of about 200 bpm.
      Then I lower the depth to match what I feel sounds good with the speed.

With the chorus, when I crank the intensity to where I like it, the speed get's too fast. I tried to use the same technique of jumpering the switch, but that made it WAY too fast!!!!.

I guess what really want is a mix of something that resembles the original dry uncolored signal, and a speed control for the chorus, but.....
      It's a great pedal, I'm not going to mess with it if it will be too invasive a surgery!!!!. Anybody make a pedal that sounds like a CE-1 but with more options?!
      I've had, Maxon, Analogman, CE-2, choralflange, .... The CE-1 is still my favorite.

(I have a BC9 in the mail though, We'll see!!!!!!)

Comment

Working...
      X