Angle on Brownface Cabs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angle on Brownface Cabs?

Me and a mate of mine are starting a project and I need to build a cab for a Fender Brownface Bandmaster.
    We haven't got hold of a chassis yet (as he's trying to source an original!!!), so could anyone tell me the angle of the slant at the top of the brownface cabs as I've never built this type of cab before.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    AF.
    Last edited by Ammanford Fats; 12-05-2009, 07:56 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Brown Bandmaster

The angle of the face of the newer-style (1960-on) Fender amps should be 25 degrees. Best way to check would be to set that angle on a circular saw, and hold it up against an existing amp. There is also a slight angle from the very bottom of the cabinet to the bottom of the cut for the amp face, but I don't know exactly what it is. I'd say it's probably less than 10 degrees from the vertical.

Comment

Thanks very much for the info.
      I've managed now to locate someone with a similar cab that's letting me borrow it to take all the dimensions.
      I never knew that those cabs had a slight angle up to the bottom of the amp face, it'll be interesting to see what it is.
      AF.

Comment

Would be nice if you could post the values of your measurements and maybe some sketches.

Comment

No problem, I'll post the dimensions and do my best for some sketches.

By the way, the amp I'm borrowing for the dimensions is a 1961 Brownface Concert.

Comment

cabinet

That'll be damned near the same size as the Bandmaster you want to build. If you look at the Weber parts site, they give the dimensions of the entire cabinet and the baffle alone. It will also demonstrate that it has a very slight slope to the front of the cabinet, though that might have been done after the start of the black Tolex amps.

I'm in the process of building a 5F6-A Bassman preamp and 2-6V6 output section into an old SF Princeton chassis I've had for fifteen years. Instead of using the Bright inputs as a separate channel, I'll use a solid-state relay to switch it in as another gain stage, like a Mesa Boogie, and use two volume controls and the T,M,B, tone stack without a Prescence control. I figger it'll get maybe 15 watts with the lower-than-normal B+, and I'll drive 4-10" Jensen re-issues in a separate cabinet.

Comment

That amp should sound fantastic - please let us know how you get on.
              AF.

Comment

Working...
              X