cheap amp mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap amp mods

I was at Toys R Us getting my son (20 months) some First Act stuff. Buy 2 get 1 free accessories. So dad left with a free 4 watt First Act amp.

I have a 65 watt 112 Peavey that will make your head explode but I have to have my Korg processor hooked up to it to play at "living room" volume.

So this little thing fits the bill for low volume use. Using the processor it sounds pretty good using the various amp modeling. Unplug the processor and turn up the gain and it is only so-so.

So since it was free I want to try some mods. Diode Clipping Distortion sounds easy enough but I'm not really sure what sound I'm going to get compared to just turning the gain knob up. Anyone ever make one?

What about speakers? This whole amp cost 30 bucks. It has a no-name 4" 8 watt 4 ohm speaker in it. If I were to replace that with a brand name car stereo speaker, say a 2 or 3 way, shouldn't that make a pretty big difference?

Sure I could go buy a micro cube or something similar, or just mod my Peavey, but this was free and messing with it will be fun. I'm looking forward to suggestions.

Is the amp you got perchance this one or look similar enough to it that it probably is this one with a different look?

If so, you have the same amp I do, and I've got a thread following my modding efforts, complete with traced out schematic over here. If not then go ahead and disregard this post.

Comment

I was looking at that thread and wasn't sure and didn't want to hijack the thread. Yeah it must be the same. My sons and mine have different model numbers and look different but were the same price. His has a 15 year warranty and mine doesn't. Thanks I'll scope that thread out more and post my questions there.

Seems like a good project though. My first mod ever was a killswitch on a dumpster guitar. I'd never do something like that to my current guitar though, wouldn't want to drill it. Same with my Peavey. I haven't paid the guy for it yet and I think he wants too much so I might just send it back and buy new. Peavey Express 112 Sheffield Transtube 65w, he wants$ 200. I might as well just buy a damn Spider or Valvetronix.
      Last edited by theWicked; 12-07-2009, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X