Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginning tube amp building - any suggestion sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginning tube amp building - any suggestion sites?

Hey guys, new to the forum. I'm thinking about building a tube amp, no matter how simple. I just want to get a feel for the circuitry and an understanding of all the basics. Can anyone recommend any good sites or tutorials, maybe kits? Preferably one that assumes I have a very, VERY basic knowledge of electronics altogether. Thanks.

ax84.com is a great place for a beginners first time build.

Comment

You're looking at one right now! Just read everything you can - it's amazing the amount of information that is just sitting here.

Comment

New Page 1 also has a good tube amp FAQ - I believe the site owner posts here as well from time to time.

Also check out valve wizard:

How to design valve guitar amplifiers

Comment

depends what you want to build. Theres ...

18 Watt Community Center mainly for the 18 watt marshall style buils

AX84.com - The Cooperative Tube Guitar Amp Project started as a site for the ax84 but now about all kinds

MetroAmp.com Forum • Index page general amp building and tweaking

Hoffman Amplifiers - Index same as above

http://ampgarage.com/forum/ as above but with sections geared towards dumble and trainwreck clones and variations

But the best site by far when it comes to learning and asking questions of some of the best amp gurus around is right here ! These guys helped me more than anyone and there are more electronic genius' here than all the rest combined. But those other site are a bit more geared to showing you various schematics and such so you can decide what to build. after you've decided and finished the amp, thats when the real work often starts....making it sound the way you want. thats when to come here. these guys are the best.

Comment

Aiken's "Tech Info" section helped puzzle out a lot of unknown in the beginning, and I find myself constantly referring to it.

Aiken Amplification

All the aforementioned will help a lot more if you've got an amp an schematic to stare at (especially if you've got a hand wired one). Some things seem so abstract when reading text until you can see and touch it (after it's been safely dischared, of course!!!)

Good luck.

Comment

This might be what you're looking for.
              Basic overview about what's goin' on in a tube amp as well as helpful hints.

http://tubenewbie.com

Keep in mind that the voltages in tube amps are LETHAL.

Comment

Ax84 has already be mentioned, but to be more specific - look for the "P1 Theory" document. It is a fantastic beginners guide to the different stages of a simple tube amp.

You can find it here:
                AX84.com - The Cooperative Tube Guitar Amp Project

Comment

Working...
                X