65 Twin Reverb Vibrato Problem. Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Twin Reverb Vibrato Problem. Please Help

Howdy all. I am new here, but I thought I'd give it a try. Here's whats happening. At first I would step on the vibrato foot switch and it would work for 10 minutes or so then it would begin to quiet and then disappear. Now the vibrato Oscillates a couple of times and stops. I tested the bug with a flashlight and it seems to work. What I notice is that when the I step on the switch the neon flashes a couple or three times and then remains on. I am just getting into electronics so I'm not sure where to go next. I am perplexed. Any ideas?

The flash is in response to the oscillator triode. If you don't have oscillation you don't get trem. Have you tried a new tube?

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

I swapped out the tube with one from my blues jr., same tube of course, but to no avail. From some of the other threads I have read I am thinking that it could be the caps in the vibrato circuit. I appreciate the response. I will keep researching. Thanks to all for looking.

-Bradley

Comment

Check voltages on the tube. It could be the cathode or plate circuit keeping the oscillator from functioning. If voltages check out try cleaning the footswitch jack. If that doesn't work you could just shotgun the whole circuit with new caps, resistors and "roach".

Chuck
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks Chuck, I'll try a voltage test when I get home tonight. As for the footswitch; I initially thought that was the problem so I took it apart and cleaned and resoldered all connections. I'll let you know where I end up after a voltage test. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
          -Brad

Comment

Your caps are 40 years old. I would replace the cathode bypass cap and the three feedback caps in the oscilator circuit. You could try searching for a bad cap in there, but really, those parts are cheap, just replace the whole set.

The amp may well be ready for new electrolytic caps throughout.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X