Palomino V8 loud hum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palomino V8 loud hum.

If I replace the very scratchy volume switch, might that take care of the loud hum? I remove the preamp tube and no hum.

If I set the volume switch just right this amp sounds pretty good. I tried a different preamp tube...same issue. I have not cleaned the pot yet.

Thanks
    Doc

Niether the switch or the pot are likely to be responsible for the hum. But a bad ground connection would. Check the ground connections on that jack and pot. For that matter check all the grounds. If anything looks suspects or loose check it with a meter and/or reflow with a little fresh solder.

Chuck
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
      Niether the switch or the pot are likely to be responsible for the hum. But a bad ground connection would. Check the ground connections on that jack and pot. For that matter check all the grounds. If anything looks suspects or loose check it with a meter and/or reflow with a little fresh solder.

Chuck
      +1 on that. It seems to be de rigeur on current day printed circuit amps to go ahead and do em all if they look at all dodgy or you're in there for some reason, kinda like flossing your teeth is good practice.

I don't quite understand why the people who build guitar amps can't either do as well as the people who make motherboards or else hire the people who make motherboards to do their work or teach them how.

But hey. What do I know?

Comment

Thanks Chuck and Praire Dawg.

I did find a a 1/4 inch piece of hair-like ( steel wool ? ) in one of the power tube sockets, but that was not the issue.

Solder joints and tube sockets seem good but I have noticed that with the 2guitar pickup voulumes turned down to 1 or 2 it works much better.

I also find that when I tap on the board with a drum stick it sometimes helps/changes.

The small cap C3 looks good on the joints but when I tap it very lightly I do get static/hum.

Think I'll reflow all the joints, just to be safe.

Thanks
        Doc

Comment

Working...
        X