Stereo Speakers w/ Line 6 Flextone III XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo Speakers w/ Line 6 Flextone III XL

Hi everyone, I was wondering if you guys could help me determine if it is possible to connect two ESS AMT 1B stereo speakers to the Speakers Outs on my LINE 6 FLEXTONE III XL. Also if this is possible could someone discuss the details of this process.

thanks

Kris Hancock

My experience has been that good hifi speakers sound as bad on a guitar amp as good guitar speakers sound on a stereo.

I did a Google search on the ESS AMT 1b because I wasn't familiar with the model. I had a pair of AMT3's back in the '70's, and they were incredibly good. I remember the 1B's as being just incredibly accurate, wonderful speakers.

If those AMT 1B's were mine, I'd leave them hooked up to the stereo. Hifi speakers are designed to be used with full frequency range source material. Even when they are cranked up loud, only a fraction of the total power is at any one frequency. Hit a hifi speaker with its rated power on one note and you will probably blow the speaker into the next county. It gets even worse if you push the amp into an overdriven or distortion mode. Now that speaker is getting slammed hard, and it just wasn't made for that. Check out this link I found for your AMT ESS 1B's: http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_119461_1594crx.aspx

Of course there is some low power level at which those speakers would be safe. I just think I would find it the hard way by blowing the crossover or the tweeter.

If you decide to do this, be sure to post again and let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Hi, thanks a lot for your response i appreciate all the info

Comment

In the light of the stuff on audioreview.com, I'd suggest you sell them to an audiophool and use the money to buy some guitar speaker cabinets. I think the buzzsaw mids and highs of a Line 6 would just vaporise the delicate Heil tweeters in those things. Heck, I'd buy them off you for my hi-fi if my house weren't packed to the rafters with audio and computer junk already.

Of course, if you keep the volume low, it can't do any harm to try it. But I bet it sounds terrible. Every time I've tried hi-fi speakers with guitar amps, the result sounded like crap. I have used them with a power soak for testing bass amps, though.
        Last edited by Steve Conner; 01-12-2007, 12:35 PM.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
        X