Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horseshoe pickup questions?

Hi,

I have a early 30's Electar steel with the early version of the Horseshoe that Rickenbacher sold onto Epiphone. It's starting to go open circuit (down to about 2.1K), and I'm contemplating a rewind. So...whilst I'm happy enough to unwind and repair if I can, I figure that this is a bit of a fantasy situation, and I'll need to rewind. Being a practical kinda guy, I'm going to have a crack at it myself. Has anyone on the forum done one before and can they tell me what guage wire was used?

Thanks

Andrew

wire

Jason Lollar might know, other than that you'll need a digital micrometer that reads to 5 places past the decimal point. Reading wire gauge with a micrometer takes some skill, you need to take several readings and settle on one you get the most times. Its real easy to crush the wire as you are reading it so you have to use a really light touch and make sure you get it zeroed out first. I only have an old Starret thats probably a little worn and its difficult to get a consistent reading, but I manage somehow. Wire gauge charts are all over the net on magnet wire sites, often times you'll get a reading thats in between gauge sizes, and you're stuck with what we can buy in modern times which you may or may not be able to match. If you want you can cut off a couple inches and mail it to me and I'll tell you what I think it is. Its probably plain enamel of some kind for sure.......
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Thanks!

Hey,

Thanks for the offer - I'm going to start the disassembly process in hte next few days (finishing the floors in my new house), so will get in touch after that.

Thanks

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by porge View Post
        Hi,

I have a early 30's Electar steel with the early version of the Horseshoe that Rickenbacher sold onto Epiphone. It's starting to go open circuit (down to about 2.1K), and I'm contemplating a rewind. So...whilst I'm happy enough to unwind and repair if I can, I figure that this is a bit of a fantasy situation, and I'll need to rewind. Being a practical kinda guy, I'm going to have a crack at it myself. Has anyone on the forum done one before and can they tell me what guage wire was used?

Thanks

Andrew
        Yes you are being a bit of a fantacist. Send it off to Jason Lollar and get the job done properly. there are plenty of other pickup winding experiments you can do before attempting your horseshoe pickup.

Seems like everyone is winding pickups these days. Must be a piece of piss....
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

good advice...

yeah actually if you're a novice get a pro to rewind it, not a good idea to learn on a valuable pickup, Lollar is really into horshoe pickups and lap steel stuff, he would be your best choice.
          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I'd agree that you should send it to Jason Lollar for a rewind. He's the closest guy around who is an expert on these things. Glad to see you made it here from the Rickenbacker Forum BTW.

If you do decide to work on it yourself, be prepared for a steep learning curve, and also, do it slowly. Unwind the pickup and count the turns so you know how many to put on it again. Take pics so you have a reference. See if it was potted, what the wire gauge is, etc. It would be alot easier for you to just send it to a rewinder like Jason, and if you're determined to mess about with pickups, then start off with a Strat or something more common and not worth so much.

Comment

+++++1 for Jason on the rewind

Comment

smart cookie.....
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Working...
                X