5881 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5881 question

I've just finished rebuilding my Silverone 1484 head. It's pushing about 475 volts on the plates and calls for 6L6GC tubes.

I have a factory matched pair of NOS USA made Tung Sol 5881 tubes. On the box, it says they're rated for 450 volts maximum on the plates. Should I be running these, or am I risking my newly built amp? Should I just bite the bullet and put some new 6L6GCs in it until I can locate some vintage glass in my price range?

Here's the specs printed on the sie of the Tung Sol box:

Okay, just checked the schematic... it's SS-rectified, but the screen voltage is a little under the max. What does your screen voltage measure?

Old TS tubes are robust, but since they aren't making any more, I'd probably err on the side of caution and use 6L6GCs...

- Scott

Comment

Originally posted by ThermionicScott View Post
      Okay, just checked the schematic... it's SS-rectified, but the screen voltage is a little under the max. What does your screen voltage measure?
      Dunno off hand...I'm at work and it's at home, so I'll have to check..

Originally posted by ThermionicScott View Post
      Old TS tubes are robust, but since they aren't making any more, I'd probably err on the side of caution and use 6L6GCs...
      I'm thinking I may just do that...I love the sound of these, but after all the work and expense, I'd hate to risk the amp because one of the tubes essentially melted down.

Comment

If the Tung Sols are matched & sound good use them. They are the tube of choice for 5F6A Bassmans, which run 470vdc (+/- 10v). No point spending a couple of hundred dollars on tubes just to put them on the mantlepiece.

15W per tube should be plenty regarding plate current.

Comment

No, sorry. Those tubes are no good for that amp. Send them to me and I'll send you a pair of 6L6GC's that'll be perfect

Chuck
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Well, I decided to pull them from the amp before I took it to practice last night. All I could lay my hands on at the time was a new set of Ruby's from Peavey. They sound OK...definitely not as good as the Tung Sols, but in a pinch I was OK with it.

I think I may sell/swap these for some vintage 6L6GCs and not worry about it....maybe....in any case, I love the box they came in, so I thought you all might like to see it:

Comment

"No, sorry. Those tubes are no good for that amp. Send them to me and I'll send you a pair of 6L6GC's that'll be perfect" - Ha ha! Let's not forget those crappy old NOS RCA 6V6s, 315v max on the screens...let us take them off your hands & we'll, er, "recycle" them! ;-)

Lowbrow, y'know that the data sheet for a 6L6GC states 450vdc max on the screen, unless fed buy a OT tap? Whoops, rules them out for nearly all brown tolex Fenders (except Vibrolux & Tremolux), Tweed Bassmans, etc....Ignore that too. 6L6GC (like 5881) may have to cope with 510vdc+ on plate & screen....and they do.

Comment

This is reminding me of my SF Champ. I went through it not long ago and was a bit surprised to find such high voltages everywhere. The 6V6 is getting around 390 volts on the plates and screen grid, which worried me.

Everyone assures me that's normal though and that the NOS Tung Sol I have in it will be perfectly fine. I gotta say, so far so good and it does sound mighty damn good!

Comment

That *is* a pretty sweet box. I'll defer to the experts as to whether the tube will survive in your amp.

- Scott

Comment

Any of you folks have fantasies about time travel back to the 1960s and buying thousands of brand new tube?......

Comment

Originally posted by Diablo View Post
                      Any of you folks have fantasies about time travel back to the 1960s and buying thousands of brand new tube?......
                      I do, since the "Back to the future" movies. Remember Marty McFly playing a 345 with a narrow panel Super (at least I believe it's a Super 5E4A).
                      tubeswell, your ears should be ringing.

Comment

Originally posted by txstrat View Post
                        I do, since the "Back to the future" movies. Remember Marty McFly playing a 345 with a narrow panel Super (at least I believe it's a Super 5E4A).
                        tubeswell, your ears should be ringing.
                        Yes I was just thinking the same thing, and he had the audacity to kick that amp for touch (I wonder if it was a real amp or just a movie prop)
                        Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
                          Yes I was just thinking the same thing, and he had the audacity to kick that amp for touch (I wonder if it was a real amp or just a movie prop)
                          It wasn't as "vintage" back in 1984 or so.

Comment

I got some tubes from a customer last summer, who used keep them around to fix his TV's. Got 2 12AX7, 2 12AX7A, and 2 12AT7, The RCA boxes had 9-60 on the flap. I forced $50 on him, he complained it was too much.

Comment

Working...
                            X