Computer-Controlled Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer-Controlled Router

I recently saw a TV commercial showing a computer-controlled router about the size of an inkjet printer, controlled from a desktop PC. Does anyone know who makes this or where to get one? Visions of custom inlay work are dancing in my head...

http://www.carvewright.com/

Also sold through Sears under the name Compucarve
    www.MaillouxBasses.com
    www.OzBassForum.com

Comment

Originally posted by Phil m View Post
      http://www.carvewright.com/

Also sold through Sears under the name Compucarve
      Thanks, Phil M.

My buddy said it was sold through Sears but I could not find it on at www.sears.com. You've saved me a lot of work.

Mark

Comment

wow cool that would blow my tooling budget for at least 3 years anybody thats got one of these need a shop slave willing to shapen planer kn ives the old way with a hard smooth rock

Comment

Originally posted by eruannu View Post
          wow cool that would blow my tooling budget for at least 3 years anybody thats got one of these need a shop slave willing to shapen planer kn ives the old way with a hard smooth rock
          Agreed. But every man needs a 'life-time goal"

Comment

I saw this at my local Sears...

I was going to buy one, but after looking at it for half an hour I gave up.

For instance, the Compucarve seems to be made from a light duty wood planer's body with a flexible shaft and its motor to do the cutting. The Compucarve has infeed and outfeed drive belts made from sanding belts, and the cutting head goes back and forth over the gap between the drive belts. This gap is about 1" wide - more than big enough to drop any cut parts in between the belts, so you would have to take the unit apart to get your parts out.

Also, I went to www.carvewright.com (the maker of the Compucarve), and their own forums have unhappy owners inside. From what I read in the forum, supposedly they can't keep enough of them working to sell. The software is supposed to be pretty good though, but IMHO doesn't make up
            for the possible issues.

I'm saving my money, $1800USD can buy a lot of parts.

Ken
            www.angeltone.com

Comment

Just look over the Carvewright's own User forum if you want a little perspective on what a POS this is.. wait a year or two until they get the kinks out.

Comment

I never ever buy the first of anything - I wait till the bugs are all dead till I invest.

But seriously... I had visions of SC pickup flatwork and cool pickguards dancing in my head until I saw this close up. Those of you who would like one of these or like the basic idea would be well served by going down to your local Sears this weekend. Look at this one closely.

The funny part for me was the salesman actually telling me they can't get one of these in for me even if I paid cash.

Oh well...

Ken
                www.angeltone.com

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                  I saw this at my local Sears...

I was going to buy one, but after looking at it for half an hour I gave up.

For instance, the Compucarve seems to be made from a light duty wood planer's body with a flexible shaft and its motor to do the cutting. The Compucarve has infeed and outfeed drive belts made from sanding belts, and the cutting head goes back and forth over the gap between the drive belts. This gap is about 1" wide - more than big enough to drop any cut parts in between the belts, so you would have to take the unit apart to get your parts out.

Also, I went to www.carvewright.com (the maker of the Compucarve), and their own forums have unhappy owners inside. From what I read in the forum, supposedly they can't keep enough of them working to sell. The software is supposed to be pretty good though, but IMHO doesn't make up
                  for the possible issues.

I'm saving my money, $1800USD can buy a lot of parts.

Ken
                  I haven't seen one 'live and in person' yet. I have read some of the criticisms and I am a little disappointed that they are back-ordered. I tried to phone the company (they're in Pasadena, Texas - near Houston) but was unable to get anyone to answer the phone.

I did find this alternative: http://www.homecnc.info/

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                    The funny part for me was the salesman actually telling me they can't get one of these in for me even if I paid cash.
                    Sounds like a case of BS talking and money walking (away).

Comment

I saw the ads for awhile, so I was interested - I like to make pickguards too.

Don't take my word for it - I'm nobody. Go to your local Sears and look for yourself.

Ken
                      www.angeltone.com

Comment

Working...
                      X