Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Marshall Valvestate 8100

Hello,
    New to this site but have owned a Marshall since early 90s. Reason I am asking is because Ive gotten conflicting answers and since I dont want to blow up my amp, I shall try asking here. I have a Valvestate 100V Model 8100 amp and I want to record directly using the "Line Out" thats in the front of the amp. My question is: Do I need to have the head connected to speakers when using this Line Out? Had a tech at a local music store who works on amps tell me he is "pretty sure" I dont need to since the power amp is solid state(has tube preamp). Then I went to official Marshall website and their FAQ section said to "always have amp connected to speaker load" Any help would be greatly appreciated since the guy telling me he is "pretty sure" wont pay for me to fix it if he is wrong.
    Thanks so much
    Dave

Marshall VS100

If you are really concerned, plug in a pair of headphones & bury them under a pillow.
    Headphone out disconnects the main speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
      If you are really concerned, plug in a pair of headphones & bury them under a pillow.
      Headphone out disconnects the main speaker.
      There is no headphones connection. Only the speaker out connex in rear and the Line Out in front.

Comment

hello dave,
        normally if it is a solid state amp (power amp section solid state), then you don't need to connect it to a speaker or a load.
        In this case because the 'direct out' is a dirivitive of the speaker out line, the level of the direct out will higher without the speakers there to load the line down. This could result in a much noisier direct out line.
        Also, you won't get the same effect as the power output stage won't be driven nearly as hard without the speaker load on it.
        The ideal way to do this would be to have some sort of power soak on the amp, but as far as speaking strictly safety goes, no problem using only the direct out with no speakers connected. glen

Comment

oops.
          my momma would be cringing at the misspelling...correction 'derivative'. Ahh, now that feels better! g

Comment

derigable...
            dirigable...
            Dorigible...

Blimp.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

HEE
              HAH
              HO

It is to laugh! ;-]

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Amp Repair View Post
                hello dave,
                normally if it is a solid state amp (power amp section solid state), then you don't need to connect it to a speaker or a load.
                In this case because the 'direct out' is a dirivitive of the speaker out line, the level of the direct out will higher without the speakers there to load the line down. This could result in a much noisier direct out line.
                Also, you won't get the same effect as the power output stage won't be driven nearly as hard without the speaker load on it.
                The ideal way to do this would be to have some sort of power soak on the amp, but as far as speaking strictly safety goes, no problem using only the direct out with no speakers connected. glen
                Glen, thanks a lot for the info! The "safety" of the amp was my main concern. I just wanted to record a little bit directly from the amp just to see what type of sound I would get but didnt want to blow my amp up for just a little "test drive". Again, thanks a lot for the help.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X