Repurpose Existing Amp to Make 18 Watt Clone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repurpose Existing Amp to Make 18 Watt Clone

A question for the group. 18 watt clones are popular. There are many kits available out there at a range of prices. That is one option.

It occurred to me that it might be more cost effective to buy a used guitar amp and repurpose it (and use the cab, speaker maybe, and other reusable parts) as the basis for the amp project and source the remaining needed items from one of the parts providers.

Is this a good idea or bad idea? Is it possible to get a tube amp that is considered not so good (cheap), reuse most of the part including the cabinet and speaker and have a decent 18 watt clone by just buying a few missing/needed parts?

If it is a decent idea, what might be good (CHEAP) candidate used amps for this purpose?
    I am learning. My posts should not be considered as expert advice or suggestions for you to implement... on the contrary, I am looking for expert advice!

When I first started to build amps,back in the '70's I got a couple of old tube PA heads, the first two I got were a Chicago Webster and a Pilot Hi-Fi,was able to salvage some very good transformers,still have them in a couple of amps that I finally built "permanent" cabs for.I used the salvaged parts to build chassis that I originally put in some cheap solid state amps I gutted that were found at yard sales or flea markets and such.Back then we didnt have the internet with its vast resources of parts and instruction.Got parts from suppliers in downtown Manhattan and dug up a schem for a 5E3 and Champ,no layouts,tho,so it was hit or miss till you got it right.I think its a better way to learn circuits and layout than buying a kit and following instructions blindly.Check ebay for older tube PA chassis and the like,you can get some good iron from most of them along with some parts that will be re-usable.Once you get a pile of parts going you can find a wealth of knowledge right here and in no time you will know the gratification of that shit-eating-grin that you cant wipe off your face when you hit that first chord and actually get sound,and you will have a platform to experiment with that you wont mind tearing apart every other week.

Comment

Working...
    X