removing hairline scratches from bobbins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing hairline scratches from bobbins

Does anyone have an effective way to remove the hairline scratches which are often seen on new bobbins (i guess caused from handling at the factory and shipping, etc) as well as caused by the pickup builder? The damn scratches make the bobbins look old...particularly the black ones?
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Rubbing it really hard with a soft rag helps a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinT View Post
      Does anyone have an effective way to remove the hairline scratches which are often seen on new bobbins (i guess caused from handling at the factory and shipping, etc) as well as caused by the pickup builder? The damn scratches make the bobbins look old...particularly the black ones?
      The classic way to polish soft plastic is with a smear of toothpaste in the thumbprint rubbed against the plastic.

Comment

buffing

you might try finding a Tap Plastics store near you or an aquarium supply place or online store and get an acrylic scratch repair kit, it has several grits of liquid polish and wet sanding cloths. Motorcycle windshield polish might work too...
        http://www.SDpickups.com
        Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I've used toothpaste (ultrabright) and a soft cotton cloth (like an old tee-shirt) to polish plastic.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

scrathes

1200 wet n dry with a bit of water followed by 2000 wet n dry followed by Autosol metal polish. The Autosol is a very lightly abrasive cream polish in a tube. Make them bobbins like new with a bit of effort.
            Mate, can you turn that thing down? Nope!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
              The classic way to polish soft plastic is with a smear of toothpaste in the thumbprint rubbed against the plastic.
              Joe that is great! I am going to have to try that sometime!

Comment

Working...
              X