Blades of steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blades of steel?

No, this post is not wrt a movie about Ice Skating (I think that was 'Blades of Glory'), but something more 'on topic'

So I'm looking at bobbin suppliers websites in the far east (thanks David Schwab for the linkage in another post of yours) & I see the bobbins that are designed for 'blade' cores, for example....

SANHE MUSICAL INSTRUMENT CO., LTD.

that particular bobbin's 'slot' is 1.6mm wide- so my first port of call for establishing a source of sheet metal 1.6mm thick is Ebay - I found only one place (changing the thickness to 1.5mm gives loads of sourcing options).

So where is everyone sourcing their blades?

If making them...what's the best way to expediate rattling out a few of these in short order?

Try to think imperially. 1.6mm is also 1/16".
    16 gauge is also very close.

Comment

1.5mm is just 0.0008in shy of 16 gauge. I think with those four options (1/16", 1.5mm, 1.6mm, and 16ga), you'll have no problem sourcing material.
      -Mike

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        Try to think imperially
        I did for about 2 minutes, but than my head hurt & I had to lie down & then settle my nerves with a strong cup of tea (base 16, 32 & 64 are just too plain whacky for me to deal with ) ...I just wish US schools would introduce the concept of base 10 wrt measuring stuff

Originally posted by David King View Post
        1.6mm is also 1/16".
        16 gauge is also very close.
        Thanks, that'll do nicely!

Comment

When I think "Imperially", I think "pints"! Mmmmm....
          Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by peskywinnets View Post
            So where is everyone sourcing their blades?

If making them...what's the best way to expediate rattling out a few of these in short order?
            I think that is the same bobbins that I hade blades manyfactured for (water cutter and magnetical stailess steel, producing a non-traditional look...). If you need only a few I can spare some for you reallatively cheep. PM me and we'll sort things out

Comment

A big thanks to Peter, who at his own cost (though in case you think I'm a cheapskate, I did offer to Paypal him!) sent me four of the blades he had custom made.

They arrived yesterday.

At first I genuinely thought Peter had sent me aluminium or plastic blades - they seemed light/shiny (they've some backing material on which makes them initially look like acrylic)....I had to run and get a magnet to make sure it was steel!

I'm pleasantly surprised at the finish! (the photo doesn't do it justice)

Many thanks Peter....such a great attitude.
              Last edited by peskywinnets; 01-13-2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Very cool all around. Peter do you happen to remember what the alloy is/was?

Comment

I have to do a bit of digging in the arcive first but I will try to find that out for you. Is was more or less the only magnetic stainless steel I could score. I figures I had to design the rest of the pickup around that blade and not be too picky regarding the material. That method can be questioned, but that's the method I choose this time. Still working on it though...

Comment

Working...
                  X