rca soldering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rca soldering

hello i have an fender twin reverb where the rca cable from the footswitch for the reverb is broken at the jack. can connect the inner cable to the tip of the rca jack by sticking it in and applying solder to the tip? and should i solder the braided ground? wire on the chasis of the jack or how should i connect this?

thomas

You are right.
    Peel a little over 1/8" of the inner cable, pass it through the RCA's hollow center pin, let the copper wire show *a little * on the outside so your soldering iron can touch it too, you must touch both it and the hollow tube, so as to heat both for best results, and apply some solder wire to them. Capillarity will suck solder in. Don't overdo it.
    To minimize overheating (and the lack of 3 hands) I like to pre-tin the "chassis" as you call it; to twist and pre tin the braid, and then join them by re-melting the solder. Saves a couple seconds.
    Last edited by J M Fahey; 01-03-2010, 05:37 PM. Reason: terrible typing
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

While you're at it cut a couple of inches off of the cable to have a fresh unstressed place to start. Clean up the plug/jack with solder wick first. A little liquid flux will help as will a small vise if it is a plug.

Comment

Working...
      X